February 21, 2009

Brown Out!

Bunny in Early Stages

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been busy painting animals this week - cute, furry little critters for a very special nursery. Expectant Mommy and Daddy are waiting for their little one, and the nursery is in its final preparatory stages.

Pond Scene

When I left my client on Friday, I looked around the room and smiled at the sweet little faces scattered around the room. It's about half-way finished and there's a lot more to do. But as cute as the room is, there was a longing and emptiness in my soul when I finished my work week. Painting this room has posed a lot of challenges and has give me a great sense of satisfaction; however, the absence of color on this project has really affected my psyche. I never quite realized how much working with color affects the way I feel physically and mentally. And this job has lots and lots of brown - light brown, dark brown and every shade and variance in between.

Fox - Completed

I wonder if there's a name for those of us who suffer from color deprivation? I wonder if it's some sort of rare disease? I wonder if I'm the only person who feels this depressed when surrounded with tons of brown and/or gray? All I know is this . . . . . . For the remainder of the weekend, if I see anything brown, it better be in a candy wrapper!

PS - Thanks for listening! I'll be sure to post more pics when the nursery is finished.

3 comments:

BlueRidgeLady said...

OMG you are cracking me up woman! These drawings are amazing and absolutely adorable!!! They are perfect for a nursery! If there is a disease that exists like this then I have it too!!! We probably will need some sort of color therapy of some sort I am sure! Hope you were able to acquire lots of those brown candy wrappers LOL! Have a good night :D

Alberta and Ava said...

I just love these drawings! I know exactly what you mean about color deprivation too. I bet we could assemble a support group right her in about 10 minutes too. Making journal pages is what's gotten me through January and February this year.

Terri Kahrs said...

Hey, Shelly & Alberta! Nope - no chocolate for me; had a nice glass of wine instead! Shelly, you cracked ME up too! Thanks SO much for the compliments. I feel as though I am truly blessed to finally do what I love (and I have the BEST mommies and daddies in the whole world!).

I really WAS depressed when I left on Friday. Thank goodness there was a nice weekend in between the bunnies and the mama bear! Alberta, I TRULY understand your doing journal pages to get through those terrible brown/gray months! That's what I love the most about your work and Shelly's - it's just SO wonderfully colorful! Am happy to know that I'm in good company when it comes to this terrible disease! Tons of Happy Colorful Hugs! Terri :)