February 9, 2009

I'm an Ex!


For many of my generation, smoking was a very socially acceptable activity when we were teenagers. I'm proud to say that four years ago at high noon on this very day, I made a date with my last cigarette. When it was snuffed out I ceremoniously dumped the ashes, shed a few tears (after all, I was dumping a best friend), and firmly resolved never to light up again.

YAY, I'm proud to say that I've kept my promise to myself!!! It's been a solid four puffless years!!! Have I craved a cigarette now and then? Yup. Have I had so much as one drag? Nope! Was it easy to quit? . . . .Hmmmmm . . . . Sure . . . if you compare it to having a tooth pulled without novacaine. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done (giving birth included). Am I happy that I quit? You Betcha! Beside the fact that I feel a whole lot better physically, my old cigarette money buys a ton of art supplies.

HiP, HiP, HoOrAy FoR Me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! Congratulations, that is a wonderful achievement.
lillikate

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks, Lillikate! I don't like to toot my own horn, but I feel like this deserves to whole marching band!

Alberta and Ava said...

I FEEL you, girlfriend! I'm proud of you too. I was a smoker in the 70's and 80's but quit when I was pregnant. My husband just quit (for the 2nd time) about 5 years ago, and I feel so blessed to know that I won't lose him to emphysema or congestive heart failure. You are awesome!

Terri Kahrs said...

Aaaaahhhhhh . . . thanks for the hug and the "atta girl", Alberta!

Bev said...

Terri I'm so happy for you!!! I smoked for 20 yrs two pks a day (course let many burn down when doing crafts!)I quit 20 yrs ago and am so happy too. WTG gal...I love your blog!!
Bevie

BlueRidgeLady said...

Way to go Terri! I know it had to be hard!! Congratulations and you should be proud!!
Shelly

Terri Kahrs said...

All of your kind comments have put a huge smile on my face! Thanks SO much for the "kudos"!