March 23, 2009

Challenge: Une Paper Doll

Une Paper Doll
5"x7" Shaped Journal Page

This paper Mermaid Doll in her little house by the sea was created for this week's dans ma maison challenge, "Paper Doll" (il y a une paper doll).

The petite Mermaid Doll was created using a variety of images. The house is made from a cereal box. Acrylic washes of blue paint were used over a layer of gesso for the background. Other materials include Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils, a white marker and Pitt pens. The edges were defined with gold marker. Scraps of handpainted paper from an old book, along with a piece of multi-colored ribbon and handpainted polka dot paper form the roof.


"Pay It Forward" Giveaway
Reminder

A gentle reminder about the current "Pay It Forward" giveaway:

If you'd like to participate in the drawing, just leave a comment on my blog telling me that you're "in" and would like to participate any time between today and Friday, April 3rd. The three winners will be announced on Monday, April 6th.

If you do elect to participate and are lucky enough to win, you MUST post a giveaway on your blog. If you enter, please leave a connecting link so that I can advise you of your win!

11 comments:

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I flickred you, but you can read it again! I love your mermaid and I love the wings she has. Just a lovely piece, Terri!

Thé said...

Originale et jolie sirène !!!!

bonbon artcontrario said...

ohhh vraiment tres tres jolie cette paper doll. bravo bravo bravo.
bisous


bonbon artcontrario

Jan said...

Oh! She is beautiful! and I just LOVE the colours

Cathy Mendola said...

Just a quick stop.. I've been absent from blogging for WAY TOO long now. But having fun with my daughter. LOVE your mermaid! She's gorgeous. You might want to submit her to Cloth,Paper, Scissors challenge "Life's a Beach".
I think she fits in perfectly with that.
How did you do the background? Ink splatters or paint??
Have a great week, I'll try to stop in for a longer visit later..
hugs!

Terri Kahrs said...

Loved your comments, Marsha, Jan and Cathy. You made my heart sing!!! Thank You!!!

Merci a mes nouveaux amis Francais pour votre belle commentaires!

Cathy, I'm SO happy to hear that you're enjoying your daughter's company. I knew you WOULD! I'll have to check out the Cloth, Paper, Scissors challenge - thanks for the suggestion!

The background was first gessoed, then "washed" with several layers of acrylic paints mixed with water to a watercolor consistency. When everything was totally dry, I used watered-down acrylic paints (two shades deeper) and splattered with a "flat" paintbrush. Hope this helps! Have tons of fun with your daughter!!!

Lynn said...

WOW !!! What a great take on the "paper doll" I love this Terri :) I love all your work, probably because it is so unique and different than my own style, your work is always so full of beautiful colors. Love visiting you regularly and thank you for being a regular to my blog too :)
Hugs
Lynn

AliMayes said...

What a great take on the challenge. I'm still plucking up courage to have another go with gesso - my first attempt resulted in more on my shoes than anywhere else!!
Ali xx

Terri Kahrs said...

Lynn and Alison, I'm SO happy you popped in to visit! I adore your work, Lynn - so romantic, soft and beautiful. You use vintage images SO well. Very inspirational.

I've worn gessoed shoes too, Alison! (And a blouse, pants, etc.!) Sometimes it seems as though it takes on a life of its own!!! I hope it sticks to my art the way it sticks to my hands!!!!
HUGE Hugs! xoxo

Théalie said...

Très jolie maison, j'aime beaucoup ton interprétation du thème et les couleurs également, merci de ta participation.

Terri Kahrs said...

Thealie, Il a été mon plaisir! Merci beaucoup.