March 3, 2009

CrowAbout Week #26

"Hello, Kitty!"

My submission for Week 26's CrowAbout Challenge is a 5"x7" journal page entitled "Hello Kitty!". I somehow managed to use five pieces from Nancy's whimsical collage sheet. It truly is amazing to see everyone's creations and how we differ in our interpretations of the given images. This week a few of the members set the bar really high. If my page can make you smile, I'll be a happy camper!

Once again, this collage has been created on gessoed, recycled cardboard from a cereal box. It really seems to stand up to all of my use and abuse. (And, you can't beat the price!) Materials used include acrylic paints, watercolor pencils, Pitt pens and Sharpie poster paint pens. The yellow borders are from a previous challenge, and the pinkish polka dotted borders on the top and bottom of this page were painted with watercolors and embellished with acrylic paint. The central image of the little fairy is from the FLICKR Group - Collage Images (Not for Posting Art) - a special thank you to Suzee Que, and the wings are from Dover Publications.

The hand painted effect on the little fairy was done by coloring her with watercolor pencils, brushing a bit of water over the laid-down colored pencil, and then adding all of the little details with a black Pitt fine-point pen. Additional color was also added to the collage pieces in this manner. If you'd like to see all of the details, just click on the picture and it will open in a larger window.

5 comments:

BlueRidgeLady said...

Gulp...I'm stunned. This is the cutest thing I have ever seen Terri! I just want to kiss the little girls cheeks, she's soooo adorable and the little kitty in the basket just does me in!! It's not like I am surprised though, after looking at the beautiful murals you do!!! It's just extra cute!! Great job!

Terri Kahrs said...

Awwwww! Thanks, Shelly! You're such a sweetheart; your comments/compliments always make me smile! I'm so glad you like my little miss with her kitty. When I saw what some of the other members of the group created, I almost panicked!

Been thinking about you and your little stray kitty all day. How'd you make out? Did you find her? If you did, did you find her a home? Thinking about that poor little thing out in the cold could keep me up at night! (I'm NOT kidding!)
Big Hugs,
Terri :) xoxo

Lynn said...

Beautiful work Terri, I just love all the detail :) I use my cereal boxes, cracker boxes whatever I can too for art work, you are right they are very sturdy.
Your work makes me want to try some brighter colors :)

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Well, your collages have been so fun to see - just as yummy and fun and pretty as can be.

Thank you, Terri, for all of your prayers and good thoughts. There is no doubt for me that they helped me on my journey and kept me safe and strong and useful. You have meant a lot to me my path buddy!
marsha

Zinnia said...

Thank you for visiting my blog! I really love this work of art...I also enjoyed reading your bio. It is always so wonderful to connect with others who share the same passions. We tend to speak the same language! Love your work, and hope to stop in and say hi often.
oooxxx Zinnia