March 17, 2009

Crowabout Week #28

"Memories"
5"x7" Journal Page

My entry for this week's Crowabout Challenge is a tongue-in-cheek tribute to one of my favorite books, "Memoirs of a Geisha".

The image of the geisha (from the Library of Congress) has been enhanced with watercolors, Prismacolor pencils, acrylic paints and Pitt pens. Ten of Nancy's given collage elements have been used, along with two paper parasols (from the party store) and a few miscellaneous scraps. Rhinestones were glued into the center of each parasol for a bit of sparkle. (Unfortunately, the scanner sucks out the sparkle!)

Watercolors were used over some of the collage images to strengthen and enhance their saturated colors. Gold marker has been used for a few embellishments on the geisha's gown, for the "dots" on the purple background and to define and finish the edges of the page.

Happy St. Paddy's Day to You!
(A bit 'o the green for luck!)



(Image Courtesy of Cute 'n Cool Blog Accessories)

10 comments:

katherinemccullen@yahoo.com said...

You did a beautiful job with all of these elements. I tried and tried to create something for CollagePlay this week, but came up empty-headed. The lavendar background is a perfect foil for the other colors, especially the way you amped them up with paint and colored pencils. Your gift for composition and color is very evident in this collage. Fabulous work, Terri!

Cathy Mendola aka pinkbirdgirl said...

OMG! Terri this is SOOOOO FABULOUS!!! AS soon as I saw it I wanted to pop over to your blog but didn't have the time this morning. I've been dying all day to get back to the computer to REALLY check it out. Did I tell you how FABULOUS it is?? I happen to love 'Memoirs of a Geisha' also. And I love asian art. So this piece is one of my faves!!
Very well done.
have a great week and happy st. patty's day!

Terri Kahrs said...

Katherine & Cathy, you made my day sparkle and my heart sing with happiness when I read your glowing remarks! You're both so very kind and gracious. Thank you, (bowing very deeply), thank you!!! Love & hugs!

Cathy Mendola aka pinkbirdgirl said...

Terri, Terri, Terri! Congrats to you. I pulled your name out of the hat for my giveaway! I will be sending a surprise your way one of these
days. Not sure what it will be as yet but I think I will make each gift different for each recipient. All I need is your address. you can leave it in a comment or email it to me.
Hugs to you!
cathy

Terri Kahrs said...

Woo Hoo!!!! You made my day, Cathy!
BIG hugs back!
Terri :) xoxo

Lynn said...

This is just beautiful Terri, another amazing journal page :) I also loved Memoires of a Geisha, great book!

BlueRidgeLady said...

I just HAD to come visit today and Geisha is more lovely today than she was yesterday! xox

Terri Kahrs said...

Thank you, my sweet friend! Glad you stopped by! Hope you had a super day! Hugs! :) xoxo

Gaby Bee said...

I found your Blog through Marsha and I enjoyed looking at your work. This page is simply wonderful. Great colors!
Gaby xo

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks for your compliments, Gaby Bee! Hope you visit again! Hugs!