March 25, 2009

Crowabout Week #29

"Sisters"
8"x10" Journal Page

When this week's images were posted for Flickr's Crowabout Group, I decided to try a few new things. Usually I collage a 5"x7" page; this week tried a larger, 8"x10" page to flex my creative wings. Instead of using my regular base of gessoed chipboard, this piece has been collaged on Strathmore (cold press 140 lb.) watercolor paper.

Approximately ten of the given images were used for this collage, along with a few older ones; and the sisters were created using various components in a photo editing program. This week I chose not to use a vintage image and took a stab at trying to do some "original" lettering. Kudos to my fellow artists who create their own journaling - the jury is still out on my poor attempt!!!

The pearl background was done with Daler-Rowney pearlescent liquid acrylic ink (a first for me!). (I wish the scanner could capture the beautiful pink pearl luster.) Additional materials include assorted markers, Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils, and Pitt pens.


"Pay It Forward" Giveaway
A gentle reminder!

If you'd like to participate in the drawing, just leave a comment on my blog telling me that you're "in" and would like to participate any time between today and Friday, April 3rd. The three winners will be announced on Monday, April 6th.

If you do elect to participate and are lucky enough to win, you MUST post a giveaway on your blog. If you enter, please leave a connecting link so that I can advise you of your win. If you've entered, Good Luck!

5 comments:

Alberta and Ava said...

Terri,
You did a fabulous job on your lettering. In fact, the entire collage is awesome, especially the intricate borders and yummy colors!

Love,
Al

Cathy Mendola said...

I love it! Sisters...Your lettering is wonderful as is everything about it. Love the borders and their
plaid pants and sneakers. Very cool...I just love pealescent inks-yummy. You'll be hooked on them in no time.
Thanks for your comments about my lousy week thus far. The bright spot has been my daughter being home. And I honestly think she may be handling the 'horse' thing better than me.
I did get up very early this morning to put in an hour or so in my studio before she got up. That was a big help.
Hope to be back among the living/blogging very soon. With or without camera!
Hugs!

Terri Kahrs said...

Alberta, as I worked on this piece I thought of you and Ava! How blessed you are to have a sister! I'm thrilled that you like the colors. Thanks to you and Cathy too, for your "lettering" encouragement!

The pearlescent inks ARE yummy, Cathy! I literally "ooo-ed" out loud as I made the first brushstrokes! Am happy to hear that you're spending some time back in the studio - serenity for the soul!!! Don't know about you and Alberta, but whenever I'm working in the studio, time passes with warp speed; and I always come out feeling more "complete".
Love, Hugs & Serenity! Terri xoxoxo

Ozstuff said...

I saw this at Crowabout and left a comment but it is worth another one on the blog!! Wonderful collage and journaling. Your colours are fantastic and there is nothing at all wrong with your lettering. I especially love the swirls you have included. They give the work a lot of movement and excitement.

gypsy said...

Terri, this piece is wonderful, I do like the lettering and composition. It's fun to experiment! Lobster sounds yummy... Cheers!