April 24, 2009

Dance!

"Dance"
4"X6"

Wishing everyone a very happy spring weekend! The daffodils and magnolias are finally in bloom. Looks like winter is finally over, and I want to dance through the tulips!

This little ballerina is taking a moment to gather a deep breath before she begins to dance through the cheery red tulips too! She's slightly timid, but all she needs is a bit of encouragement to dance her toe shoes (and the flowers) into shreds!!! I'd love to give credit for this image; however, I honestly can't remember the source. She's been in my vintage collection for a long time. Her pretty tutu has been enhanced with watercolors followed by a layer of Prismacolor pencils.

The background was created using watercolor crayons mixed with gesso. After the initial treatment was dry, it was lightly sanded for a timeworn look. The circle borders were painted with acrylics, and the scalloped borders (from a Crowabout challenge) were hand-colored with Prismacolors. The tulips were cut out of a magazine, and the remaining, tiny images (recycled from a brochure) were scanned and "shrunk" in a photo imaging program.

Do something just for YOU today, and have a happy weekend!

12 comments:

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Beautiful work Terri! The layering you do with your watercolors and pencils and gesso and crayons is so distinctive of your work and so lovely! I just am amazed at all that you pull together into one lovely piece, complete and perfect!

indybev said...

The effect you achieved in her tutu is delicate and wonderful. You are a master at using the tools of your art!

Cathy Mendola said...

I commented on this in flickr but had to come over for a visit! She's lovely! Love images of ballerinas especially when they're dancing through tulips:=)
I'll say it again, your details are amazing.
You really are detail-oriented and make it look so beautiful.
Have a great weekend and I think I'll take you up on doing something for me today! I'm finally feeling human and the weather is supposed to get into the 80's!!!! I believe I
need to go get a pedicure so I can put on some cute little sandals!
Hugs to you my dear,
cathy

Terri Kahrs said...

Marsha, Bev and Cathy - You always make me feel so good about my work! I'm honored to just stand along side of you; I admire your work, your creativity and your talent. Thank you, My Friends! Have a SUPER weekend! And, Cathy, enjoy your pedicure and sandals! Hugs! xoxoxo

Ozstuff said...

Where's Tiny Tim? I love your little ballerina tiptoeing through the tulips. Enchanting!

Lynn said...

I just love this Terri, your work always has me looking all over it and finding more and more details :)

Janny said...

She is so lovely;o)

BlueRidgeLady said...

Hi Terri! I really love these two latest collages! The colors are vibrant and I love the dress/tutu in "Dance"! Hope all is well with you, have a great weekend! Hugs!

Stephanie Kim said...

beautiful! very poetic

vintagepix said...

Love those cheerful spring colors (esp. since it's rainy and 43 here in Wis) and great quote too!

Alberta and Ava said...

This is just the kind of beautiful effervescent image I need in my head to start my day, Terri! And I can never resit a pair of toe shoes. I love this!

Terri Kahrs said...

I SO appreciate your comments, and really take them to heart! Thank you, thank you! Hugs!