April 16, 2009

Dans Ma Maison Challenge - Spring

"Madonna of Spring"
5"x7" Shaped Page

"Madonna of Spring" was created for this week's dans ma maison challenge, "There is Spring" (il y a le printemps). The serene Madonna, holding a symbolic lamb, is an image from a FLICKR Crowabout collage sheet. Generally I tend to shy away from yellow; however, I decided to use it liberally in this piece as a nod to my favorite spring flower, the daffodil. The flowers and bird are from Dover. Her little house was created from a recycled, gessoed cereal box.

Acrylic washes of yellow acrylic paint and watercolors were applied over a layer of modeling paste. Other materials include Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils, pastels and Pitt pens. The edges were defined with gold marker. Multi-colored fibers and "jewels" embellish the roof.

14 comments:

vintage wil said...

Oh what a beautiful house!
great image.

Terri Kahrs said...

Thank you, Willie!

Ozstuff said...

Well, this one blows me away. It is scrumptious! Take a bow!

Cathy Mendola said...

Terri, she's beautiful! I love the yellow on your purple blog background. Looks great.
Love the fact that you used a cereal box too.
I've seen people using pizza boxes as a canvas to paint on. Cereal boxes are a great weight though for making ATC's and smaller collages!
Thanks for the idea. I'm going fishing in my recycle bin.
The fibers are a great touch also.
hugs to you!
cathy

Odetta's Scrap-walk-in-closet said...

Stunning house! Spring in full bloom.

Terri Kahrs said...

Thank you, thank you for all of your lovely comments! You've all made my day, as I was very unsure about posting this piece!

Cathy, I LOVE using recycled chipboard - especially from cereal boxes. It's WAY cheaper than canvas; and, creatively speaking, it holds up to just about anything I want to do. Huge Hugs xoxoxo

Lynn said...

Terri, I always enjoy seeing your latest creations, you just have a style all of your own :) I keep meaning to get some of that modeling paste, would love to try it.

lunaplume said...

wow so beautiful...Enjoyable colours !!!

Janny said...

Thank you for your lovely comment and what a great Arch you made xoxo

Terri Kahrs said...

You are ALL so sweet! Thanks for leaving your great comments!

Lynn, this was my very first experiment in using the modeling paste! I'm always eager to try new materials.

Théalie said...

Très jolie maison, merci de ta participation.

ombre said...

un beau blog et de belles creations !

Terri Kahrs said...

Ombre - Merci de votre beau commentaire !

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.