April 17, 2009

Friendship

(From a FLICKR Photo Sharing Group - Thank you FunkyArtQueen!)

Happy Birthday, Sweet Katharine!

My sweet granddaughter, Katharine, celebrated her 1oth birthday yesterday! As in most families, birthday's are always a huge deal. The Birthday Celebrant is always treated like a king or queen. Among the privileges, certain exceptions to chores are granted; and, of course, favorite foods and presents are always part of the celebration.

What did Katharine want as her special birthday gift? She wanted her ears pierced! Mom, being the great mother that she is, told Katharine to wait until she was 10; and yesterday was the day!

Through the wonders of technology, Mom (in Maine) sent pictures through her IPhone of the memorable event. (You gotta LOVE technology!) The initial pictures showed a group of ten year-old's huddled together in fear and apprehension, followed by a close-up shot of Katharine's soon-to-be-pierced little lobe. Then, voila . . .THE picture of Katharine and her friend, Sarah, wearing pretty, little stud earrings! But the picture I love most of all, was the last one of Katharine and three of her closest friends happily enjoying celebratory ice cream treats in a small, local cafe afterward!

The gift of "friendship" . . .That's SO what it's all about isn't it?!?! Katharine's little group was supportive and celebratory. They were there for each other and for her. Women, young and old, form common bonds and forge the most wonderful friendships! Friends that'll stick up for you and hang in with you through good, bad, right and/or wrong. Friends that'll hand you a tissue when you need it, give you support to see you through difficult times, and offer encouragement when your self-esteem has hit new lows. Friends that'll laugh and cry and jump up and down to celebrate your success - no matter how large or small. Friends who sometimes stay in the shadows, but they are always there - like guardian angels - to lift you up with their sweet words when you need love and hugs the most.

This has been a week of seeing the many facets of "friendship" at their very best. Huge hugs to each of my friends, old and new. And . . . a toast to technology for making wonderful, new friendships possible! Have a super weekend, my friends!!!!

8 comments:

peggy gatto said...

This picture reminds me of a precious collage sheet image!
thanks!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Hi Sweetie! Oh my goodness love the picture and what a sweet story! I am excited for Katharine...I remember how exciting that event was! Good for her :D Hope you have a beautiful weekend sweet friend! xox

Lynn said...

Awww how sweet, and she finally got her ears pierced :)

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks a heap for all of your lovely comments. Hope you're having a grand weekend! xoxo

Kim Naumann said...

Congratulations to your grand-daughter for being so brave! I remember the first time I had my ears pierced and how nervous I was :). And thankyou again for commenting on my blog, your comments are always appreciated and are a happy surprise each and every time I discover them!

Terri Kahrs said...

You're sweet comment made me smile, Kim! I love visiting your blog to see what you've been up to. Again, congrats on your success! Hugs! xoxo

Cathy Mendola said...

Oh how sweet! Love hearing about your granddaughter's ear piercing adventure. What a great and exciting birthday she had! Technology is so nice when we are far from those we love. I'm so glad we can experience little snippets of their lives like that!
You're right about our friends old & new. It's
good to know that they're always there!
Thank you for being one of my 'new' friends!
Hugs to you and have a super week!

Terri Kahrs said...

BIG hugs right back, Cathy! I'm SO happy that you're in my life too! God Bless the Internet!!!! xoxox