May 13, 2009

Crowabout Week #35


"Carmelita"
5"x7" Journal Page

Poor Carmelita (I just love that name!) has been forced to dance her way through life in a Buenos Aires dancehall, and dreams of a better life away from the city lights and party atmosphere. "Carmelita" is a page that was created from this week's Crowabout collage images. All of the images on this piece are from Crowabout (past and present challenges), except for the roses (Dover Publications).

The background of this piece was created by enlarging one of the images in a photo editing program and printing it out. Orange acrylic ink was mixed with water in a spray bottle (about 30 drops to 1 ounce of H2O) and then lightly misted over the image twice - allowing for drying in between sprayings.

Additional materials: Prismacolor pencils, watercolors, pan pastels, Pitt pens, gold marker and charcoal pencils. A photo editing program was used to size several images. Everything has been hand cut, hand colored and glued to a piece of recycled chipboard from a cereal box.


***************
The New Look

Since my old purple background was beginning to feel very claustrophobic to me, I felt it was time for a change. After all . . . women are known for changing their minds! Hope you like the new look.

Have a colorful day!

15 comments:

Janny said...

What a great piece of work!

Janine said...

I lovew that colours.
these are the colours of latin- america.
Pretty

Janine said...

It´s me again.
For you are a friendly and talented person with lots of phantasie I tagged you.
More informations on my blog.
By the way I like the new dress of your blog.

Chrisy said...

oooh yes your new background is gorgeous...looks so realistically textural...and your journal page...well...it's beautiful...so much work...poor Carmelita...she has that yearning look in her eye!

Ozstuff said...

Absolutely stunning, fantastic, superb and all the other superlatives I haven't thought of yet. I loved reading Carmelita's story. I hope she escaped from the cheap dance hall where she worked for 25 cents a dance!

Staci Danford said...

How wonderful your work is... I traveled your way via Alberta's blog.. Very fun!!
Staci

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Terri! It was so nice of you to stop by and leave me your sweet comments. I love getting to look at new blogs. Your artwork is wonderful. It's so full of color!!! That is something I really have to stretch myself to achieve. I also really like your blog background. Take care and I hope to cross paths again soon.

Karen

Alberta and Ava said...

Despite her hard life, Carmelita is a beauty. This looks like an actual poster for a dance hall. I love the festive colors!

fanny said...

an extremely joyful piece of work!

Terri Kahrs said...

Your sweet comments and encouragement have made my heart sing! Thank you! Hugs to all! xoxo

Jean said...

Terri, your girl is lovely! She is as colorful as her life in Buenos Aires. In this lifetime she would probably make it big as a contestant on "Dancing with the stars"

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh, Jean! That's too funny! As I was bringing Carmelita to life, I actually thought of "Dancing with the Stars!!!!! Great minds think alike for sure! Hugs!

Gaby Bee said...

This piece is fabulous with gorgeous details. Beautifully done as always!
Gaby xo

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks, Gaby! Hugs!

vintagepix said...

Love Carmelita's colorful backstory to go with the colorful collage. Great vintage blog background too :D