May 11, 2009

Minnie the Mermaid

"Minnie"

"Minnie" is a bejeweled Victorian mermaid doll "covered and smothered" (as my friend, Shelly, would say) with ocean-related eye candy. Look closely (right click on the pic) and you'll see multi-colored fish, coral and a few sailing ships.

My mermaid was created for a swap. If you'd like to make a mermaid too, you can find the template at Altered Bits. "Minnie" was created from 140 lb. watercolor paper. Her lovely face and hat are from a Flickr photo sharing group - special thanks to TakeABreak. Her adornments (all from Dover Publications) were cropped and sized in a photo editing program. All of the pieces, including the tiny ones, were hand cut and glued to Minnie's scrap paper body, and hand colored with Prismacolors, watercolors and pan pastels.

Her embellishments include the purple feathers in her hat, rhinestones and a hand-beaded necklace strung on thin gauge copper wire. A piece of patterned scrapbook paper was attached to the back to finish her nicely.

19 comments:

Ro Bruhn said...

What a beautiful mermaid, I love the combinations of all of the images. Thanks for commenting too.

Cathy Mendola said...

Oh Terri, I think you've outdone yourself this time! I absolutely LOVE her. I've got a 'thing'
about mermaids. They're such wonderful, mythic creatures and you've created a fantastic version!
Her hat is GREAT!
Have a wonderful week my dear!
xoxo
cathy

Alberta and Ava said...

Who among us hasn't dreamed of being a mermaid? You've taken a well-loved subject and crafted a uniquely lovely creature. The jewel tones and hat are such original touches.

Janine said...

thats a creative piece of work.
She looks great.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Oh Terri, the detail is just incredible and I love the little bits and pieces that all came together in her lovely tail. If I were a mermaid, I would want to be her! Wonderful and beautiful!

Ozstuff said...

Wow! Your mermaid is gorgeous. Is there a series coming up? I would love to see more Minnies! Stunning work. Thanks so much for Minnie's journey from beginning to finished product - and for the link to the template.

Terri Kahrs said...

When I found all of your lovely comments this a.m., my face broke into a huge grin! Thank you, My Friends, for such a happy beginning to my day!!!

Marie, your idea of a series is superb. However, although she was fun to create, this little gal is a one and only! Happy Hugs xoxoxo

BlueRidgeLady said...

Your talent never ends Terri! She is stunning!!! You always amaze me! The beads and sequins make such a pretty finish!! Hugs!

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks, Shelly! I'm so happy you enjoyed Minnie and her 'bling'! Hugs back at ya! xoxo

Little Lovables said...

she's so lovely!

Janny said...

What a gorgeous mermaid!

Art Fan Ako said...

Victorian mermaid... interesting concept and lovely result!

peggy gatto said...

I just love minnie!!!!!

Lynn said...

Fantastic!!!! I just love all the little pieces you cut out to design her, I think that makes her so special, the little fish, the sail boats, just lovely :)

Chrisy said...

She is fantastic! I love the exotic flavor you've given her with all those treasures on her tail...and the hat is a whimsical touch!

Terri Kahrs said...

Thank you, thank you, for all of your beautiful comments! I'm SO happy that you love Minnie as much as I enjoyed creating her! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxoxo

Fuzzy Brush said...

Janine tagged us both so I came to see and fell in love with your mermaid! I know I'm going to want to see more of your work so I'm gonna follow you!

Terri Kahrs said...

Thanks, Fuzzy!

vintagepix said...

That is one fashionable mermaid! Love her huge hat esp. :D