May 24, 2009

Sunday Postcard Challenge

"Social Butterfly"
4"x6" Postcard

Awfully cute and awfully social! Someone just received her report card and has a few academic improvements to make! Miss "Social Butterfly" was caught passing notes and whispering in class!

The theme for this Sunday Postcard Art's challenge was "numbers". So, I asked myself how I could incorporate numbers in a whimsical way. My Muse answered with several images from a Flickr photo sharing group: The little girl - Takeabreak; the report card image - Sassyarts; and the ruler - HaDesigns. The butterflies and wings are from Dover Publications.

The Inspiration
(You may use this in your artwork!)

A photo editing program was used to size each of the images. They were carefully cut out and glued to a recycled chipboard base before being hand colored with Prismacolor pencils, watercolors, Twinkling H2O's and pan pastels. Shadows were added with a gray Prismacolor pencil and a smudged charcoal pencil. The "a,b,c" was stamped with dark brown Stazon ink. Distress ink was used to age the report card, and the entire piece was edged with a copper-colored marker.

Although this piece is a little different from my usual repertoire, I enjoyed creating something a tad more whimsical!

Have a whimsical day!

26 comments:

Willy said...

Lovely card, Terri!

Mandy C said...

gorgeous postcard Terri! thanx for the freebie

Femmy said...

beautiful postcard!!!

Buffy said...

Such an adorable postcard and image! Guess she got bad grades since she is such a social butterfly! So cute.

Barbara said...

This is really a great artwork! I love the way you add shadows for more dimension!

Hanne said...

This is a really beautiful postcard!
Hanne

Lori Saul said...

This is a wonderful, fun postcard! Great old report card and lovely mixed images.

Ozstuff said...

Wow! This is exquisite, everything about it. What a treat it is to see your wonderful work popping up in our blog rolls! (And thanks for the freebie. The image is beautiful).

indybev said...

Well, Terri, I hope you indulge in whimsy more often. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Your use of color always amazes me. You just make magic with your prismacolors and H20s, etc.

Sandy said...

Wow this is really lovely.
Fantastic card. Love them.

herminesplace said...

Absolutely gorgeous, love what you did with the image

Art Fan Ako said...

Terri, you are a creator! I wish I have your talent! This turned out great... So lovely. I would have a hard time mailing out this postcard if I were you.

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Terri, so much to see and beautiful colours xx

Martina2801 said...

It´s beautiful and artistic. Standing ovation from me.

Lynn said...

Lovely, and yes whimsical, which as you said was a nice change for you :) I think as creative as we are it is always nice to go outside our usual box once in a while, like me with the fish LOL.
I love this image, and would love to save a copy for use sometime. Thanks:)

Darlene said...

Beautiful postcard and clever use of numbers!!! Thanks for sharing.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Terri ~ Love this whimsical piece along with your description to go with it!!! I resemble those remarks...I used get in a little hot water in grade school for being chatty teehee! Thank you for sharing such a sweet image too!

Sea Gypsy said...

I love this post card. Whimsical and charming at the same time. That pic of the little girl is just so sweet. I have been playing around with a little digitial collage and so I am looking at all these pics in a new way.

BlueRidgeLady said...

She is so darling!!! I love your stories about the images you use!!

Taluula said...

Oh my this is absolutely amazing.

Kelly said...

aww.....very very sweet.

NANCY LEFKO said...

your work is great !! thanks for visiting my blog...I enjoyed my time here too :)

peppapig said...

gorgeous card!!!!

Donna said...

Aww cute!

Amy said...

she is a cutie pie..thanks so much for sharing!

Suze said...

Beautiful image, thank you