June 3, 2009

Crowabout Week #38

"Happy Place"
5"x7" Collage

My first reaction when I saw this week's Crowabout images was: "Holy Cow! What'll I do with these?!?" Sometimes the creative concept presents itself to me in a jiffy, and other times it seems as though my Creative Muse seemingly runs away or worse, freaks out! Generally, if My Muse goes into hiding for a bit, I don't seem to mind. But, I do tend to worry when she throws a "hissy fit"!

This weeks images looked as though they were illustrations from vintage storybooks, so you would think that coming up with something creative and fun would be easy. "Not so fast!", said My Muse! After a few gut wrenching trys and failed concepts, I said to myself: "Self, you need to relax and find your happy place!" "BINGO"! The hissy fit was finished! Although this piece presented a tougher than usual challenge for me, I'm fairly pleased with the result.

All of the images are from Crowabout collage sheets (past and present), including eight from this week's sheet. Exceptions are the butterfly from Dover Publications, the scrap paper background and the handmade "Happy" text.

A photo editing program was used for sizing only, and all of the images were enhanced with Prismacolor pencils and watercolors. The polka dots were created with poster paint markers, outlines and "stitches" were done with Pitt pens, and the final piece was edged with a blue marker.

Have a very creative day!

9 comments:

Janine said...

Great job. It´s a lot like Alice in Wonderland.
Most of your Collages are made in Wonderland;0)

Janny said...

Super! You did a great job!

Ro Bruhn said...

Another lovely piece of art, I love the whimsical combinations, very happy.

Cathy Mendola said...

Terri my dear! I've missed soooo much of your work. I have tons to comment on.
You have been so busy and everything is so beautiful!
I absolutely LOVE your piece you did of your dad.It's amazing. I just love the way you layered everything. Great job.
My next favorite piece is the 'flying pig revue'. TOO CUTE. Just love it.
All your Sunday Postcard Art is wonderful. I'm
amazed at all the challenges you do.
Your 2 newest pieces..... LOVE THEM!
Hope is so beautiful, I just love her headpiece and Happy Place truly makes me feel happy. It sings with playfulness and joy!
Your work is becoming very distinct! I could pick your lovely hand-colored pieces out of a line-up of mixed media art very easily.
I hope to find my 'voice' in artwork one of these days. I feel like mine has no continuity.
Anyway my dear I'm back and loving all the work you've done since I stopped by last.
By the way, I read 'Rhett Butler's People'
while at the beach! Fabulous version of 'Gone with the Wind'. It's Rhett's version of the
whole relationship. If you haven't read it, do so. You'll love it!
Have a great rest of the week!
hugs to you,
cathy

Alberta and Ava said...

May I please come to your Happy Place? You did a superb job with the hand tinting here, and the lovely soft lavendar you used as a background unifies all these lively colors wonderfully. My very favorite part of the entire collage is the children on parade across the bottom. Inspiring work, girlfriend!

June said...

Hi Terri, I am not blog hopping much as not to great at the moment as you know and its enough just to do my own and keep up with art freebies etc but ..... I just had to come and tell you its not my birthday until the 14th ...at which point i will be 50 ... yikes :( ... maybe i have written it down somewhere and put it wrong if so i am sorry.
Anyhow its fate because .... it made me come over and look in on you here and you know what ... I am stunned by that fabulous collage. Terri you are one of my favourite artists i just love what you do and i am thrilled to be waiting for my special 'hope' prize to arrive but this collage is also something outstanding !!!
thanks for all your inspiration
Hugs June xxx

Lynn said...

Well you certainly found your "happy place" and your muse, this is wonderful :) I know just what you mean though, sometimes things come so easy and others, well, yep, you have to sort of step back and regroup.
I love the little characters with the pointy hat noses, sooooo cute, your work is always so happy :)

Taluula said...

Terri this is amazing and so much fun. Bravo my friend.

Barb said...

Oh, this is adorable, luv the happy feeling I get from looking at it! :)