June 16, 2009

Crowabout Week #40 & Thanks, Melissa!

"Lucky in Love"
5"x7" Collage

Choosing a theme for this week's Crowabout images posed a bit of a challenge. When I first saw the images, I fell in love with the playing card, and of all things . . . the fish tails! The question was: "How do I make these two disparate items work together?"

When I saw the gorgeous image of the bride in a FLICKR photo sharing group (thank you SuzeeQue!), everything fell into place. After all, June is the traditional wedding month! I managed to use the quirky fish tails for a unique headpiece and the playing cards for her bouquet along with six additional images.

-------------------------

My Techniques

The substrate is a piece of recycled chipboard covered with a piece of scrapbook paper. The playing cards and tiny hearts for the bouquet were sized individually, then digitally cut and pasted onto the bouquet. A single heart from the playing card was enlarged and cropped in a photo editing program and digitally added to each of the little postcards that form the border along the top. Additionally, the fish tails were digitally recolored and resized. All of the images were printed and hand cut before being glued to the base.

Prismacolor pencils and watercolors were used to overcolor each element of this collage. I am a bit disappointed in this scan because the scanner didn't read all of the subtle color variations in the veil. (Bummer! It really is quite lovely in person and has a beautiful illusion of sheerness and shimmer.)

The baby's breath in the bouquet were created with a white poster paint marker, and the dip dots in the background with red acrylic paint followed by a white marker "dot". (When doing this techique, be sure to allow the first color of acrylic paint to dry completely before adding additional colors!)

Shadows were created with a gray Prismacolor marker and a charcoal pencil. A gold marker finished the borders.

-------------------------

A Special "Thanks!


Approximately two weeks ago, I entered a giveway for a beautiful altered key pendant made by Melissa from Honey Girl Studio. Lady Luck was on my side, and (yay!) I won the pendant! It arrived yesterday and is even more beautiful "in person".

Melissa's work is absolutely delicious, and her blog is filled with lots of fun things. Stop by to investigate when you have an opportunity! Thank you, Melissa, for this special treasure and your generosity and kindness!

I hope that your day is filled with delightful surprises!

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Your work is always a treat to look at, and this is simply amazing!!!! I just love the brides head piece, I don't think I would have ever thought of that but it works perfectly with everything else :)
I see you won a giveaway too....yeahhhhh.. and gorgeous it is, I love the altered keys.

quiltlion said...

I love your collage! Just inspiring! Lucky ducky that is a beautiful pendant! Lyn G

NANCY LEFKO said...

what a great piece...Crowabout looks like a lot of fun !!!

Nan said...

This is just a feast for the eyes! Your digital work on the collage pieces is really neat and as always love that you share your techniques! Thanks..Nan

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Thanks for sharing your process. And the message is wonderful.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Of course you fell in love with the fish tails! Who wouldn't? Have I not had any influence on you? hee hee

Oh, my friend, you are testing my knowledge of adjectives. Perfect, beautiful, marvelous, magnificent, fabulous - I use them all with you all the time. This one is no different and every bit of all those words! Well done!

marsha

Gaby Bee said...

I just love visiting your blog and see what pieces you come up with. I'm always excited by your artwork! Love your creations.

Gaby xo

Ozstuff said...

I hope the bride's table was downwind of the guests! Eau de fishtails? Mmmmmm.
Seriously, I am completely in awe that you found elegance in a very tongue in cheek collage sheet. This is so beautiful and so unexpected. Seriously fantastic work.

Yvonne said...

Lovely collage, Terri! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques.

daisy said...

Fabulous!

Janine said...

I love all the colours and the composion.
You are so creative.

Outstanding Stranger said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, is all I can say. This is so great. When I first saw it I just said W O W and sometimes that is enough..great work. Hugs, Diane

Michelle said...

You did an incredible job with all those bizarre and disconnected collage elements - absolutely fun, fantastic and fabulous! Michelle