June 22, 2009

Crowabout Week #41

"Beauty"
5"x7" Collage
(Click on this picture to see the details!)

When the collage sheet was issued for this week's Crowabout Challenge, the picture of the lady sitting in the beauty parlor jumped out of the page. To think of all the things I've put my hair through in the name of "Beauty"! At this point in my life, it's a wonder that I have any hair at all!

In the 60's we teased, sprayed, ironed and permed. I can remember wearing a "tin can tiara" of sorts. We actually saved soup and OJ cans to recycled into curlers. My Dad loved to quip, "How's the reception, Kid?"

We did the "flip", the "beehive" and the "french twist". Personally, I was once a blonde, then a brunette, got "frosted" and saved being a redhead for my later years. If you look at my family pictures, I changed my haircolor and "do" so many times, I could've been in the witness protection program!

-------------------------

My Techniques

All of the images were resized in a photo editing program, printed, scissor trimmed and glued to a piece of recycled chipboard. Approximately seven of the current Crowabout images were used along with several from past challenges. Special thanks to ArtsyFartsyQueen for the red bottle.

Acrylic ink was used to enhance the blue in the window as well as her yellow cape. Additional color was added with Prismacolor pencils, watercolors and pan pastels. Shadowing was created with gray and black Prismacolor pencils. Dots were done with white and green Sharpie poster markers, and the entire piece was edged with a gold marker.

-------------------------

Thank You, Melissa!

A very special, heartfelt "thank you" to Melissa McCobb Hubbell, publisher of the "Erraticus Zine". Melissa has included a wonderful article about Nancy Baumiller's Crowabout Group in this recent issue, and I was blessed to be one of the chosen artists. (Yay! I'm published!)


If you're interested in obtaining a copy of the "Erraticus Zine", click here. This zine is dedicated to mixed media and has been published since 2002. If you'd like to find out more about Crowabout, click here. Participation in this group is by invitation only, but you can drop by and leave a note for Nancy telling her that you'd like to play and that I sent you!

Wishing you a day filled with sunshine!

15 comments:

Ineke van den Akker said...

This is wonderful! Just like me.... always busy. Even at the hair-dresser!

Art Fan Ako said...

Congratulations! You have just been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award". Come and receive it from my blog!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

fabulous piece, Love all the fun details and great colors!!!

Kimmie said...

I just love love love your style! It's like old black and white tv and movies popping in newfound technicolor! Fabulous "I Love Lucy" sort of image! I love it!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Amazing techniques!! Love this place! Blessings.

Ozstuff said...

I remember the 60's. My haircut was called a "geometric" - very sleek with straight fringe (bangs) and a curl sitting flat onto either side of my face.
Terri, your collage is stunning. No other word for it. Scrumptiously beautiful.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Oh, Terri...your Beauty collage is totally awesome...what a gorgeous piece of art with all it's intricate detail. Amazing.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Your welcome, dear. Drop in anytime for a dip into peace and light. Blessings.

Lynn said...

Hi Terri, hope you had a good weekend, I seem to have missed a lot of your wonderful work over the weekend, I really haven't blogged since Thursday. I always enjoy seeing your work, it is always such a joy to my eyes :)

Hanne said...

Wow! I love, love, love your art. I can look at the details forever. Still new things to discover in your collages! Thanks for all the links as well!

Have a great day!
Hanne

Cathy Mendola said...

OMG! Terri, I love this one. I can really relate to it. I have also abused my hair through the years and YES, it's a wonder I still have any!
I had to laugh when I read that you saved cans to roll your hair on. I should post a photo of my BIG 'DO'
with the teasing and the flip! Hilarious! Why we thought that was beautiful, I'll never know. Oh well,
I guess we're just willing to try anything when it comes to 'Beauty'!
You captured it wonderfully!!
have a great week!
xoxo
cathy
p.s. congrats on being published!!

Michelle said...

Wonderful job with this piece! That image on the collage sheet struck me too but I was stumped as to what to do with it! Your solution is grand! xo-Michelle

Taluula said...

What a superb and wonderful art piece Terri. Gorgeous. I'm also chuckling at what Ozstuff has said. I remember having that style too.

Luisa Migon said...

You have been awarded the One Lovely Blog Award! Come visit my blog to accept your award!

Hugs,
Luisa

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Terri, this may be my all time favorite piece from you! Wow, wow, WOW! It is amazing!

I abused my hair for far too long. I finally quit trying to tame it - have let the gray go for the last 5 years or so. I just cut mine very very short and spikey and I am so happy to just wash and go. (and my hair suffers less, in fact, it gets rubbed and petted a lot now that is spikey and fun to touch!) No more blow drying or curling irons or perms or hair spray - my hair is so happy!

I am so happy about this fun and perfect piece! Well done lady!