June 13, 2009

Sunday Postcard Art - "Enchanted"

"Enchanted"
Postcard

This week's theme at Sunday Postcard Art is "Over the Rainbow". I remember the initial thrill I experienced as a child when Dorothy stepped through the door and had her very first look at the color and wonder of Munchkinland. My heart still skips a beat or two when I think of that wonderful scene and the magic of it all! (It was, and still is, absolutely mesmerizing!)

My version of the "Over the Rainbow" theme features a lovely veiled lady standing in a magically colored garden. It's a serene place where roses, "happy little bluebirds" and butterflies abound. It's mysterious, magical and enchanted . . . just what I'd expect of a storybook land located somewhere over the rainbow!

-------------------------

My Techniques

A garden background from ItKuPiLLI was printed in a 4"x6" size on Epson (matte) presentation paper. Before it was dry mounted to a piece of recycled chipboard, I divided the background picture into two pieces by cutting along the garden shrubbery located to the left of the picture. I drymounted the first half of the garden to the right side of the base, followed by the lady, and then drymounted the left half of the garden to create the illusion of depth and perspective. A mask was used to protect the image of the lady while faux writing was stamped on the background with deep purple Stazon ink.

The remainder of the collage pieces, with the exception of the veiled lady, are also from ItKuPiLLi. All were resized in a photo editing program, and a few were digitally recolored. The entire piece was "overcolored" with watercolors and Prismacolor pencils. A bit of shading and shadowing was added with a gray Prismacolor pencil, and a silver marker finishes the perimeter.

Wishing you an enchanting day!

34 comments:

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Very beautiful, Terri...wonderful image!

indybev said...

Ah, Terri, you make such magic. I've used this image, and I know she was originally a lady in red. It's amazing how different she looks in this luscious purple you've chosen. Beautiful!

Judy said...

Beautiful, Terri, she looks so serene & the colours so lovely, great card!

http://fatmasplace.wordpress.com/ said...

it´s wonderful, terri. see the blue bird

herminesplace said...

its gorgeous.

Donna said...

Gorgeous Terri,it's definately an enchanted place.

Ozstuff said...

Now there's the difference between a real artist and a pretender. The latter goes for (as we say in Oz) the bleeding obvious. The former uses her own originality to depict a feeling, an atmosphere, and - in this case - doesn't have to hit one over the head with a rainbow!!
Absolutely beautiful, Terri, as is everything you do. I love it.

Ozstuff said...

In case any of my friends would think for a minute I am talking about them .... I am talking about myself and should have made that clear.

Martina2801 said...

Love the colors and images you used for this piece! Beautiful work!

Sandy said...

Wow this is fantastic.
Really beuatiful. Love them.

katrin said...

your SPA-card is really enchanted! great piece of art work.

Willy said...

Wonderful card, Terri. Great composition!

quiltlion said...

The color is so vivid! Beautiful! Lyn G

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely, Terri! I like how you created the illusion of depth. Thanks for sharing how you created this.

yasmindeboo said...

Wonderful postcard; great ideas.

Dianne Q Adams said...

Everything about this piece is beautiful!

Janny said...

Gorgeous again;o)

Sue said...

This is beautiful Terri, I think that purple is such a difficult colour to get right, but yours is just perfect x

Cathy Mendola said...

Terri, this is beautiful! I love the image of that woman. I've used it before but I love the color you added. Just wonderful work. And another thing we have in common...The Wizard of Oz. LOVE that movie!
I'm so sorry I've been absent from cyber world and missed your giveaway : (
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for your one yr. anniversary!
Have a great week, my friend!
xoxox
cathy

peppapig said...

This is a beautiful card Terri,as is all your work.

Luisa Migon said...

Beautiful as always!!!

peggy gatto said...

This is a very lovely calming piece!!!

joanne wardle said...

beautiful postcard. and I agree the wizard of oz is mesmerising.

Beth Jaffe thequeenofcups said...

So so fabulous! I love that you didn't use a rainbow but worked on the theme! Super creative and thoughtful!

Lori Saul said...

So, so beautiful Terri.The colors and images are so wondrous- your techniques are superb! Very creative card!

Paben said...

I love all that gorgeous color you used!Fantastic work Honey!

Barb said...

Hi Terri,
Oooh, what a striking creation and in my favorite colors too! :)
Thanks for your recent "visit" to my blog.
Barb

Janine said...

Hi Terry,
That is simply beautyfull.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Complete in joy! What a vision. Blessings.

Darlene said...

Absolutely beautiful postcard!!! I also liked hearing the story behind the card - and your technique process.

Mandy C said...

wonderful work terri

Hanne said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing the technique process!

lorhen82 said...

I love the colors you used...very pretty! ~Lori

Rein said...

Very pretty!