June 6, 2009

Sunday Postcard Art - "Seaside Dandy"

"Seaside Dandy"
Postcard


The theme for this week's Sunday Postcard Art challenge is "Bathing Beauties". Granted, my version is not what one would picture as being a true "bathing beauty" in the initial sense of the description. Matter of fact, it's a bit of a surprise and totally out of the "female" beauty box! When I happened upon this dapper dude, I couldn't resist his charm. I'll admit . . .I can't resist a man with rakish good looks and a sense of humor! Here's my inspiration . . . . . .

For your creativity!
Courtesy of the Library of Congress

This piece began with a piece of striped scrap paper drymounted to a piece of recycled chipboard. Then the fun began! Sandpaper was used to scruff the background, then watercolors and Prismacolor pencils were used to enhance the stripes. Once again, I scruffed the backgriound and stamped a few scrolls along the sides with orange Stazon ink.

After hand coloring, cutting and attaching more images (quite a few from past Crowabout challenges and some from my collection), I stenciled white acrylic paint through plastic mesh (from fruit packaging) and added colored dots with blue and green markers. The edges were "trimmed" with blue marker.

-----------------------------------

Giveaway Reminder!

This month I'm celebrating my six month anniversary and saying a great big "thank you" to my friends, followers and occasional readers, by giving away a print of "Outside the Lines" to one lucky winner whose name will chosen randomly (Randomorg.com). The winner's name will be posted next Friday, June 12. You can see the print and the original post by clicking here.

To be in the drawing, leave a comment on any of my posts between today and Wednesday, June 10. Just be sure that you leave a link so I can notify you in the event you win.

If you've been blurking (Definition: A "Blog Lurker", as my friend, Marsha, would say!), please don't be shy. I'd love to know that "you're there" and would love to hear your "voice". To everyone who's left a comment, thank you and good luck!

Have a dandy day!

40 comments:

Ozstuff said...

I love your Dandy, Terri! What a creative take on the challenge. A Terri Super Originale!! Fantastic.

Judy said...

FAB_U_LOUS!!!! Terri!! Love it heaps!! "Women love me' just finishes it off superbly!
JudyNZ

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is so excellent..what a great card!

Lori Saul said...

I love your take on this theme- a really wonderful creative card. Brilliant!

Yvonne said...

Magnificant card! Love your "Dandy"! ps Thank you for the freebie. Sorry I forgot to add you to my label.

fatmasplace said...

it makes me smiling. wonderful artwork

peggy gatto said...

Love what you did with this postcard!!!!
Brava!!!!!

Donna said...

Oh love your take on the theme....fabulous beach dandy!

Sandy said...

Wow this is fantastic.
Unbelievable card. Love them.

Martina2801 said...

I love your background and the image is exquisite. Wonderful work.
Thank you very much for the nice freebie.

Mandy C said...

fantastic i love this. very unusual.

Janine said...

Your work is allways so colourful and funny.
It allways makes me smile.

Petra Tillmann said...

Great card!

sija said...

Fabulous Terry!

quiltlion said...

He is a heart-throb is he not?? Love the card! Lyn G

Willy said...

What a fantastic card, Terri. I love your dandy!

yasmindeboo said...

Gorgeous Card and love your ideas; made me smile. Thanks for the technique tips too.

Rein said...

This is great!!

PCarriker said...

This is wonderful Terri! Such a fun piece.

Beth Jaffe thequeenofcups said...

Love your piece! I think men can be beauties, too, it's not a sexist definition! I love your blog, too!

Jo (Boots the Monkey) said...

Wow, this is absolutely amazing - I love it !
Why not enter your creation on Simon Says
Challenge this week ? http://simonsaysstampschallenge.blogspot.com/
There is a fabby prize of a $25 spending spree in the SSS store and also
a SIGNED piece of artwork by Tim Holtz ! Hope you can join us !
Jo x

peppapig said...

This is great!!!

herminesplace said...

Fantastic!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Love your gentleman bathing beauty -- a good take on the theme. And his suit is not unlike
some of the women's vintage suits i've been seeing:)

Buffy said...

Gorgeous piece,love the colors and he's perfect for the challenge!

ilonasblog said...

Terry , that´s great and such a fun

AliMayes said...

Definitely a bit different but what fun he is!!
Ali xx

Janny said...

Gorgeous!

José said...

Now this is a bathing beauty! Wish my husband had a bathing suit like his. Maybe an idea for Fathersday. Great card!

Darlene said...

The background is outstanding -- Love that guy too!

Sue said...

It's easy to see why everyone love him! What a brilliant card x

Taluula said...

Oooh this is outstanding, light hearted and fun. One of your very best.

aino said...

Very colourful as life.

audrey h. said...

Terri...love your take on the theme. Fabulous postcard and I love all the colors.

Luisa Migon said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Lynn said...

OHHHHHHh Terri, you have done it again, this is FANTASTIC!!!!

Kelly said...

Terri, I love this! and again I'm so glad you include a little tutorial with what you do.

Please include me in your drawing. And I love the term "blurking". Too funny. :-)

Stacy said...

This is absolutely stupendous! I love everything about it! The colors, the composition - they are perfection!

Kimmie said...

I love your style! It has a nostalgic vintage poster look to it .... this is a wonderful and colorful piece :)

briedah said...

terri, when I first saw this gender bender on Flickr, I thought wow Pringle Hill is really over the top this week which is cool (as I know for a fact that cross dressing was all the rage back at the turn of the century)-but I was really confused cuz all your *ladies* are so beautiful and this babe was, well, sort of scary. Then, thank god, I saw the 'women love me' and realised you played a funny on me!
Seaside Dandy is still done in your great style which makes it a Pringle Hill original-but I would burn that sheet music if it were in my stash! Nice blog you have here-luv brie