June 27, 2009

Sunday Postcard Art - " Yankee Doodle Dandy"

"Yankee Doodle Dandy"
Postcard
(Click on this picture to see the details!)

The theme for this week's Sunday Postcard Art is "The 4th of July". It was chosen as this week's theme to jump start the American festivities surrounding Independence Day. When I saw these adorable images from Etsy's Collage Anonymous, I couldn't resist and decided to take a walk on my sentimental side. This little guy is my idea of a quintessential "Yankee Doodle Dandy"! (And how adorable is his little furry friend?)

All of the images, with the exception of the hand painted striped border, are from Collage Anonymous. (Thanks, Donna!)



My Techniques


I began by covering a 4"x6" piece of gessoed chipboard with a thin coat of Golden's modeling paste. The modeling paste was maneuvered with an old plastic credit card to create texture. After the paste was dry, the background was "washed" several times with blue watercolors. To achieve color variance, some of the blue was "lifted" with a slightly damp paper towel.

All of the images were hand trimmed with scissors, glued to the background and enhanced with Prismacolor pencils and watercolors. The stars were stenciled with white acrylic paint and "shadowed" with Prismacolors and watercolors. Glitter glue added a bit of sparkle and shine to the stars, and silver marker was used to edge the perimeter.

Enjoy your creative freedom!

31 comments:

Yvonne said...

Sooo adorable and creative, Terri!

Lori Saul said...

What wonderful images you found Terri and a fantastic composition! The dog is fabulous- so festive and spirited. Beautiful postcard!

Dianne Q Adams said...

Perfect 4th of July postcard. Great images.

Judy said...

Great card, Terri, love the cute 'couple'!

Lynifyni said...

Positively brilliant, Terri! I love the image...and the dog, well, that's just the icing on the cake! LynnF

Ozstuff said...

Wonderful postcard! Just gorgeous.

Martina2801 said...

Terri, this is very impessive.
Stunning work. Love them.

indybev said...

Hooray for the red, white and blue .... and for your little dog too! Great piece, Terri!

Sandy said...

OMG this is really awesome.
Wonderful and lovely card.

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

A very cute "Dandy" and doggie!

Petra Tillmann said...

This is very beautiful!

Donna said...

Fabulous Terri!! Those two were made for each other :)

yasmindeboo said...

Gorgeous postcard and thanks for sharing the technique.

Alberta and Ava said...

He's definitely a Yankee Doodle Sweetheart, Terri!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like your Yankee Doodle Dandy, Terri! This looks great.

peppapig said...

Great card Terri and so cute!

Mandy C said...

love the images off donna! great composition and great postcard Terri!

Michelle said...

Oh, Terri! Definitely gets me in the mood for the 4th! You did a fantastic job!

Janine said...

Great, your collages are allways so vibrant and colourful and my mood always becomes better, when I see them

Lumilyon said...

Beautiful work and great to read about your techniques Terri x

Taluula said...

Terri he's definitely a cutey and so adorable. I love the colours and the composition AND I love how you share your technique which to me is brilliant. Bravo my friend.

Darlene said...

Very happy and cute postcard!!! He's the spirit of July 4th.

Kimmie said...

I love the childlike image and americana feel of this :)

lorhen82 said...

This is so adorable! I love that you added the little dog! ~Lori

Janny said...

Fabulous, I love him!

Luisa Migon said...

Adorable!!!

Buffy said...

So Adorable,love the images and also the way you created the background!Thanks for sharing.

Nan said...

Wonderful piece and I love the pup...your images always pop!

Lynn said...

So this is the fun you had while i was at the bridal shower yesterday. I think it is awesome Terri, and I love the modeling paste background will have to try it now that I have some. Just love the texture and the detail and will be checking out this Etsy shop in a minute :)

gypsy said...

This independence day artwork has such a positive feel. I like the idea of a child proudly holding the US flag... in vivid color! Thx for sharing your process as well.

Carole said...

Fun piece!

Thanks for coming by my blog. :-)