June 24, 2009

"Wild Thing" & A Special Thank You

"Wild Thing"
4"x6" Collage

(Click on this picture to see the details!)

This week's theme for the Three Muses Challenge is "wild things". The first thought that popped into my mind was the song with the refrain, "Wild thing, I think I love you!" Needless to say, the entire time I worked on this piece that goofy song kept swirling in my head.

"Wild Thing" is a tribute to everyone who has just a "wee bit" of crazy trapped inside that's waiting to be released. Whether it's a passion for art, drama, dance, gardening or cooking, find the time to enjoy a bit of whatever brings your wild thing out today. And just as you begin the release, be sure to laugh and do a happy little celebratory dance, because life's just too darn short!

-------------------------

My Techniques


Since I'm still trying to marry "analog" and "digital" art (for want of better terms), "Wild Thing" was an experiment using both methods and techniques.

Initially "Wild Thing" was composed digitally in a photo editing program. The background (thank you Stars to Blue - Flickr!) was recolored (hue and saturation), and the cutout of a dancer and the bit of lace from my collection were applied as a layer. Custom brushes - butterflies and faux writing - were digitally stamped; and the text was applied. The entire piece was saved as a jpeg file and printed.

After drymounting the picture to a piece of recycled chipboard, several flourishes were stamped with purple Stazon ink, and layers of green watercolor washes enhanced the background. My little dancer and her colorful costume were overcolored with watercolors and Prismacolor pencils. Shadows were applied with a gray Prismacolor pencil, and a copper marker was used to finish the perimeter.

-------------------------

Thank you Ako & Luisa!

It's always a wonderful surprise and an unexpected treat to receive a sweet acknowledgment, and I've been doubly blessed and thrilled to receive this beautiful award twice!

A huge, heartfelt hug and "thank you" to Ako (ArtFanAko) and Luisa (Ponto Zero) for this special blog award! I am truly grateful for your generosity and for this lovely award given in the spirit of friendshi
p.

Wishing you a day filled with small pleasures!

35 comments:

Ozstuff said...

I love that song! And I love your Wild Thing - she is gorgeous. And, yes, I am sure we would all like to let our hair down and be wild once in a while. Fantastic take on the challenge, Terri.

"MOI" Freubel said...

I am always love it when some one discribes HOW a entry was made Terri.
what a splendid work you have created for this challenge.
My respect and a big BRAVO !!

"MOI" Freubel said...

Again...
I hope that every one will look it in CLOSE-UP to see all the details ! You realy deserve that.

roc said...

love what you've created! great job. thanks for sharing your techniques. it's so much fun to see how other artists create.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

This is a party for the eyes! Great work! Blessings.

lorhen82 said...

She's certainly a "wee bit of crazy"!!! Great job! ~Lori

Buffy said...

Gorgeous combination of colors and love the background too.Congrats on your blog award!

indybev said...

No one is more skilled at the marriage of "analog and digital" than you are, Terri. This is such a joyful entry in the wild thing challenge. I'm using my JoAnn's coupon to get some Prismacolor pencils. You've convinced me. If I get them, does the creativity and talent come in the box???

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

I can see her dancing to the music!

Martina2801 said...

What a great artwork! Love your creation!

Janine said...

She really is a wild thing
WOW ;0)

Taluula said...

Terri I love how you've described how you created this gorgeous wild thing, it makes all the difference. I got up close and the detail you have put in is phenomenal. Bravo my friend.

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love your wild thing - the holster thingy with flowers is a hoot. I love all the detail you put in all your work.

Luisa Migon said...

Just a beautiful wild thing!!!!

Barb said...

Hi Terri, Loved "visiting" your blog - you have a grrr-eat sense of humor and wonderful "style."
Barb
Now I won't be able to get this crazy song out of my mind!! LOL !!

Yvonne said...

Wonderful piece, now I can't stop that song playing in my head!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is stunning, Terri! All of the details are fantastic. I like everything about this.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Darn, I forgot to say I liked the words, too. The whole thing is fabulous!

Meikoningin said...

What a gorgeous Wild Thing ! Supernice colours and a very good tutorial, great :)

Eila A said...

Wonderful card, with a good message to go with it! And thank you for describing your working methods - they are always so interesting, and there is a lot to learn from them!

Astrid Maclean said...

Great piece Terri and I love your colour combo.
Funny, I had exactly the same song going through my head and could not get rid of it all day...
Great card and thanks for the explanation of how you did it.

Nan said...

Wonderful mix....she really looks amazing. I love all the flowers she has. Thanks for the descripton of how you made it!

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh now now its gonna be in my head all day!!! I do love your take on the theme tho!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Terri, another dazzling piece from you! Wow! The way you paint in your characters just amazes me. You need to teach classes, my dear. This is beautiful and the details are not to be missed! Congratulations on another well deserved blog award too!

marsha

AliMayes said...

She's great and what a costume too!
Ali xx

Ellen said...

beautiful hybrid creation, the background is gorgeous and as for the woman ..dance on

Cathy Mendola said...

Terri I love this! I saw it in flickr first and am in love with your background. I agree with Marsha you SHOULD teach a class in this.
Your handcoloring and your digital skills are IMPRESSIVE!
Have a great weekend! And remember to take your own advice...let your wild side come out and play!
xoxo
cathy

peppapig said...

This just gorgeous!!!

Elegia said...

I know that song too and I like it! And I also like a lot your wild image. Even the flowers have gone wild, stunning work!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is such a beautiful art piece. Your focal image is gorgeous and I love how you have added the delicate lace trim...!!

Janny said...

It's gorgeous!

Murphangel said...

Oh, how scrumptious! I love your Wild Thing. Fantastic.

Lynn said...

Oh Wow, I am speachless.. well not quite. I just love how you have combined the digital with the ??? non digital? Anyhoo, adding all that you did after has really made this something spectacular :)

WildGoose said...

Interesting, fun entry and thanks mucho for your follow-up description as to the how!

Diane said...

Fantastic piece! Thanks for the detail - quite an effort!