July 6, 2009

Crowabout Week #43


"Mirror Mirror"
5"x7" Collage
(Click on the kitty to see all of the details!)

A beautiful frame, the word "Fairytale" and a butterfly were among this week's Crowabout images. The story of Snow White and the evil queen's "magic mirror" immediately came to mind, although I've given the fairytale a new twist. Who can resist a pretty kitty?!?

------------------------

My Techniques

Six of the Crowabout images were used for "Mirror Mirror" along with the cute kitty from my collection, the butterflies from Itkupilli and computer printed text.

This piece began by enlarging and digitally recoloring two of the given images for the background in Corel PSP. The mirror, the butterfly and the kitty in the mirror were digitally cut, pasted and layered to form the background. After printing the composed digital collage, all of the images were enhanced the old-fashioned way with washes of watercolors, Prismacolor pencils and pan pastels.

The butterflies were sized in a photo editing program, printed and trimmed with scissors before being applied to the collage. Text was created in a word program and printed on a page of a vintage children's book that was first "washed" with acrylic paint and then brushed with distress ink.

The swirls were created with a stencil and white acrylic paint, and the green dots with a marker. A copper metallic marker finished the edges.

Have a magical day!

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Your creations always amaze me Terri, you are so creative and come up with the most amazing themes :) Just love it, then again I love all of your work :)

Gaby Bee said...

This is really lovely! All the little details :-)

BlueRidgeLady said...

Awww Terri!!! Absolutely adorable! You knew I would love the kitties!! I really wish we were neighbors, I have so much to learn from you, will you move here?

Opps, I almost forgot! I left an award for you on my blog! xox

indybev said...

No Shellie, she can't move there. She has to move HERE! Although I think no amount of lessons could ever give me the talent OR patience she puts into her "stuff". This is so charming, Terri, and done in your typical meticulous style! Standing O!

Janine said...

Oh how lovely.
You have so much fantasy, great.

Alberta and Ava said...

What a wonderful interpretation of this theme. Your imagination never stops, Terri!

Kimmie said...

toooo cute! I love your twist .... looks like puss-n-boots, pinnochio and snow white all rolled into one :)

Ozstuff said...

Terri, I always think your current collage is the best you have ever done but you continue to blow me away each week. This collage is absolutely superb. It would go so well in a frame, hanging on a child's bedroom wall. The artwork and its whimsy are perfect.