July 13, 2009

Crowabout Week #44 & A Surprise!

"Queenie"
5"x7" Collage
(Click on the teacup to see all of the details!)

Don't let "Queenie's" blue-gray hair and quiet demeanor fool you. She was considered to be what was known as a "looker" in her day, and had quite a reputation for playing assorted risque parlor games - if you know what I mean!

They say she still has a few cards up her sleeve, but she's keeping quite mum about her past under that crown. After all, she's not a girl to kiss and tell. However, you might have some fun if you ask "Queenie" how she got her "bling"!

-------------------------

My Techniques

Loved, loved, loved all of the Crowabout collage images this week (Thanks, Nancy!) and managed to use ten of them for this collage with the only addition being the lovely jeweled crown from Flickr's ArtsyFartsyQueen.

In the interest of time, this week's collage was cut, pasted and composed in Corel Paint Shop Pro. After it was printed, the fun began. Here's a peek at what "Queenie" looked like before the "overcoloring" began.

"Queenie" Before the Makeover!
A Surprise "Freebie" for your Artful Pleasure!
(Please Note: This was uploaded as a .png file; however,
you may also save it as a .jpeg file.)

I began with several layers of watercolor "washes", followed by Prismacolor pencils and pan pastels. Shadows were created with a smudged charcoal pencil, and highlights were added with white acrylic paint. (That's why her pearls are so white too!) Finally, the polka dots and edging were added to the background with a gold metallic marker.

Have a day filled with wonderful surprises!

17 comments:

NANCY LEFKO said...

gorgeous...love what you've done with Queenie!

Renee (nayski) said...

I love your collages each week and am always excited to see which element will get the "special" treatment. Queenie is just beautiful. You make the techniques sound so simple - which in general I suppose they are but it's not easy to do them and have them turn out the way yours always do. I'm a big fan of your work!

daisy said...

Gorgeous indeed Terri. Luv the soft feel of the colouring & the story. Naughty Queenie!

LØB said...

I always follow your art with great interest!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Oh Terri! Queenie is gorgeous! I love your stories!!! I truly believe you are right about Queenie...I love how you made her over :D Just beautiful!!!!

indybev said...

I commented on this at Crowabout, but it bears a nod here as well. The time and patience you put into your pieces amazes me, and the end result always gives me pleasure. Good work, Terri.

Hanne said...

I just love your art! What a story about that Queen:) Thanks for the freebie!

Luisa Migon said...

I'm smiling! What a fun and colorful image!!!

Janine said...

God save the queen!!
DElicious, you always make me smile.

Kimmie said...

I love the makeover you gave her .... maybe that's what I need in the morning - watercolor washes and prismacolor pencils :)

Cathy said...

I love Queenie! She's wonderful.
Were you a make-up artist in another life?? Your coloring is perfect everytime!
I'm leaving a message on the previous post as well. So much to write. whew!
hugs,
cathy

Lynn said...

Oooooo how did I miss this? What a fun piece, you always surprise me with your work, it is always exciting :)

Alberta and Ava said...

So Pythonesque, I can practically hear her say, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" Love this one, Terri, but why should it be any different?

Taluula said...

I saw this on Flickr and it's just as wonderful for the second look.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri, I love your art and would like to discuss purchasing some of the prints in a poster size.. Please contact me at gretaison@yahoo.com Thanks

Jackie said...

Thanks for the freebie. She's great! I shall look forward to using the image.

Amy said...

I love it..thanks so much..she's a cutie..even in old age!