July 4, 2009

"Enchanted Nest" - Sunday Postcard Art

"Enchanted Nest"
4"x6" Postcard
(Click on this picture to see the details!)

One of my very favorite fairy tales was the story of the "Twelve Dancing Princesses". The twelve princesses would secretly escape from their guards each evening, swiftly wend their way through forests of bejeweled trees, and dance 'til morning. Upon their return everyone in the castle was baffled by their worn out shoes.

Although I loved the princesses, I've always been intrigued by the beautiful descriptions of the enchanted forest. I loved the sparkling branches of diamonds and the shimmering emerald leaves moving in the soft summer breeze as the princesses hurried by. If some of those trees had nests, I know that they would hold enchanted dreams guarded by lovely fairies.

Hence, my inspiration and entry for this week's Sunday Postcard Art theme of "nests".

-------------------------

My Techniques

My postcard began with a digital photo of a nest that was cropped in a photo editing program to fit the required 4"x6" size. The fairy was digitally cropped from her original picture and superimposed digitally on the background of the nest. Faux writing was stamped with digital brushes.

This is how my fairy began. (Feel free to use her in your art!)


All of the images were enhanced with layers of watercolor washes, Prismacolor pencils and pan pastels. A flourish was stamped on the right side of the nest with embossing ink and copper embossing powder.

A vintage page from an old book was "washed" with white acrylic paint and allowed to dry. After creating the text on my computer, I scotch-taped the painted vintage page to a sheet of plain white paper and ran it through the printer for the background of the text. White acrylic "dots" were carefully added to the fairy's dress, and the edges were finished with a copper metallic marker.

Have an enchanted day!

38 comments:

Lori Saul said...

This is a beautiful postcard and I love the idea behind it. Wonderful digital work- the colors are scrumptious!

Kersten said...

Pure enchantment! :)

Judy said...

Very enchanting card, Terri, looks so magical!

Kris Dickinson said...

What a delightful piece! Bravo!

Dianne Q Adams said...

This is so pretty. Thank you for the image too.

Luisa Migon said...

Fantastic work!!!!

Sandy said...

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.
Gorgeous card.

herminesplace said...

Fantastic!

Bettie said...

Brilliant!

Audrey said...

Gorgeous!

Donna said...

Stunning postcard, Terri!

Martina2801 said...

WOW...this is awesome...gorgeous work !

Willy said...

Very beautiful card!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Terrific postcard, beautifully created!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful Terri! What a great idea for the theme. Thanks for sharing how you created it too.

peppapig said...

I love this,it's fantastic!!

Michelle said...

Wonderful work as always! I am so jealous of your skill in digital art..cropping is about my limit! xo, Michelle

lorhen82 said...

Terri, this is just magical...I love it! ~Lori

icandy... said...

Very cool postcard! :)

Happy day!
Christina

Darlene said...

Gorgeous postcard!!! Love the quote and the Princess story.

Annes Art said...

Fantastic work!!

Cathy said...

It's beautiful as always! I really love your techniques. Thanks for sharing them. But I REALLY think you should create an online workshop to teach us all your techniques!
I'm lost when it comes to the digital layering :P
Hope your weekend was filled with good food, friends and fireworks!
Have a great week ahead.
xoxo
hugs,
cathy

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

You never cease to place me in the magical land of awe, dear. This is wonderful and I love, love, that fairytale, as well. Blessings dear one.

Diane said...

Wonderful work!

Ozstuff said...

Wow! Terri, your postcard is superb - everything about it. Fantastic work, wonderful artistry.

indybev said...

I'll join the ranks of all the others applauding this beautiful card. It's a beautiful piece of art, so skillfully done. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hi Terri! What a gorgeous card! Your technique just turns out the most unique and beautiful pieces. I just don't know how you do it!

Thank you for the 4th of July pix too - such lovely treats to find! I love that Liberty Girl!

Flying Dreams may be my new favorite work from you (besideds my Houdini you made me)! It is fun and fabulous!

Hope you had a great holiday weekend! I can't wait to get home and get back to work and back into blogging and art looking. A few more days!

marsha

Taluula said...

Terri what a delight!!!

Gaby Bee said...

This card is marvellous. Beautifully created as always.
Have a wondeful week ahead!
Gaby xo

yasmindeboo said...

A beautiful postcard.

José said...

It's beautiful! And a lovely story to go with it.

Sea Gypsy said...

I agree with everyone befor me that this is a enchanting piece. I love it! I love it! I also love that story and like you I was always more interested in the pictures of the forest. You should do a series on the enchanted nest!:)I love your last sentence of your 2nd paragraph. Just the thought sends my mind thinking of all the dreams they may be guarding. I love it!

Kelly said...

This is beautiful, Terri! I'm missed a few SPCA weeks, so the girls and I need to get back to i!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Such lovely inspiration in this enchanted creation Terri, very beautiful indeed!

Janine said...

That is another masterpiece of you.
So enchanted indeed.
I love it, like most of your artwork, therefore I give you an award.
You can get it on my blog. if you like.
Have a great week
Hugs
Janine

Lynn said...

Stunning!!!! You take my breath away, I am always excited by your art work :)

LiveArt said...

Very pretty!!!

T said...

This piece is wonderful, love the layering. Have a fun day!