July 25, 2009

"Ooo-La-La!" - Sunday Postcard Art

"Ooo-La-La"
4"x6" Postcard
(Click on the parasol to see the details!)

Madame Fifi couldn't wait to arrive in Paris to find the perfect outfit. She dreamed of a satin gown dripping in lace. She searched and searched for days. Finally, in an obscure designer's atelier, she found her perfect outfit. But, Oh, My! What was she thinking?!? It seems as though Monsieur Gilbert took the money and ran! Where are the fashion police when you really need them?!?

-------------------------

My Techniques

My Muse seems to have taken a bit of a break with this creation. (Maybe she ran away with Miss Fifi's designer!) Try as I might, my hands weren't accomplishing what I saw in my mind. It seems as though Miss Fifi had a fashion disaster and so did I artistically. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I've decided to give you a peek at my fashion road kill.

This week's Sunday Postcard Art's theme is "Fashion." My fashion disaster started with a digitally recolored background from Itkupilli, a black and white image from my collection and a snippet of digital lace from ScrapGirls.com. (FYI they have wonderful digital "freebies"! Check it out.)

After everything was digitally collaged, I added Twinkling H2O's to the background as well as faux postage and faux lettering stamped with purple Stazon ink. The grunge circles were created by dipping the bottom of a paint bottle into a puddle of antique white paint, and then using it as a stamp. Additional colors were added to the background with pan pastels.

Madam Fifi's colors were enhanced with watercolors, Twinkling H2O's, acrylic ink, acrylic paint and Prismacolor pencils. Further definition was done with a smudged outline of charcoal pencil. (FYI -I colored the lace with acrylic ink originally and didn't like the way it looked. So . . . I just kept adding Prismacolors until I was reasonably happy.) A gold metallic marker was used for the background dots and the edging; and, all of the edges were "dusted lightly" with tea-colored Distress Ink to add more depth.

I hope you have a day filled with personal satisfaction!

26 comments:

Lori Saul said...

Beautifully done Terri- looks like a vintage Paris poster. Gorgeous colors - a joy to see!

Ozstuff said...

Oo la la, indeed! This is stunning, Terri. I hope everyone takes a little extra time to enlarge your picture because that is where it shines. I love all the tiny details and the enhanced image is wonderful. Made me smile on a wintry Sunday morning in Oz.

Lynifyni said...

Terri! What a brilliant piece. I just love it! I did enlarge it and it really is a lush, awesome creation! Bravo! LynnF

Judy said...

Wonderful, Terri, close-up look confirmed a great design!

Annes Art said...

Beautiful postcard !!

Martina2801 said...

How incredibly gorgeous this one is, Terri. I love the beautiful colour and design. It looks totally gorgeous.

Sandy said...

Wonderful design and fashion card.
Absolutely stunning. Love this.

June said...

Ohhhhh superb !! Lovin this one Terri and the lil story with it hehe
Hugs June x

Willy said...

Marvellous postcard, Terri!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful, Terri! All of the details are wonderful. And I chuckled over her fashion disaster.

Taluula said...

Oo la la indeed my friend. She is a beauty in pink and well worth the time taken to see this at its full size. Bravo Miss Terri.

The Rustic Victorian said...

Verrrreeeeeyy Nice!
Marcie

http://truutske.blogspot.com/ said...

Beautiful fashion postcard. Love the colors.

indybev said...

Well, it sounds as if you threw everything but the kitchen sink at Madam Fifi's fashion disaster! Personally, I think the color combination is stunning, and an enlarged image shows your attention to detail. As always, my friend, GOOD WORK!

Lynn said...

Sorry that you think it's not good, I know how that feels, yet often times, it really is good and this IS Terri, don't be so hard on yourself. The color combination is fantastic too and I love the background, always great work from you, I wouldn't just say that, and look at all the other great comments :)

Cindy McMath said...

Terri, this is just gorgeous!

Cindy :)

Jackie said...

It's good to know other people sometimes have difficulties as well. The end product is great though!

Betty said...

Really great card, love how you put it all together.

Cathy said...

I don't know where to start! I haven't been to your blog for several days because I knew you were out of town. I waited too long to come by. You're not only home but quite busy creating such beautiful works!
I hope your time away was just perfect. I would love to see photos.
Your Christmas piece is wonderful. All the images you used came together just perfect!
Your Anti-Piracy piece is also PERFECT! I couldn't believe when I read about Marsha's incident. Then I read about several others last week as well. What Nerve!
Finally your Ooo-La-La, Madame Fifi piece is just fabulous!
Glad you're back safe and sound.
Have a great week!
Hugs,
cathy

Anni's Art said...

Terri she is a beauty with her fine cloth, love the colors.
Hugs Anni

Darlene said...

Terri - I love the luscious background and the beautiful postcard!!! I got a kick out of reading your story. I guess you and I were both in Paris (in spirit, at least).

peppapig said...

Gorgeous Terri,you always use such wonderful colours!!

libbyquilter said...

this is charming~!~and i certainly wouldn't have tagged it as "fashion road kill", however i understand the feeling because i also had a hard time bringing my "vision" and my finished card together. if you want to see real "fashion road kill", check mine out, you'll feel much better~!!~

:)
libbyQ

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Charming and lovely postcard creation Terri! Ooh La Laa is right, those colors! Fun story to go along with also :)

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Just amazing everytime you create! Blessings friend.

LiveArt said...

This I like!!! love the colours and your image and the way you've put together the different elements of your piece!!

Linda