July 31, 2009

PNG Tutorial & "Freebies"

For Your Artful Pleasure!

Throughout the ages, women have always been fascinated with fashion, and several challenges have recently focused on that theme. Looking at these two women, fashion took a turn from the sublime to the ridiculous!

This week's images were found in the archives of the Library of Congress. If you haven't investigated this site, it's a wonderful source for old images. These fancy ladies, as well as many other pictures, are now in the Public Domain (You don't have to ask for permission before using those images in your artwork. Yay!) Going through their wonderful archives is like browsing in a flea market or going through old shoeboxes of pictures in someone's attic. If you'd like to visit now, click here, and happy hunting!

-------------------------
Thank You!

I just want to take a quick minute to say a deeply, heartfelt thanks to everyone who commented on my Three Muses challenge piece, "Dee & Me", this week. My sweet blog sisters, please know that you have touched my heart with your caring words. I am humbled and grateful. Huge "hugs" to all of you from me. :)
-------------------------

PNG File Tutorial
A Quick Explanation
(I hope!)

This week I've posted two versions of each image: The .png version, which has been digitally cleaned up, and the .jpeg version, which is the original photo. The original backgrounds have been removed from the .png versions so all you see are the lovely ladies. However, the .png files may be saved as regular .jpeg files. To help you understand the difference between each file designation, here's a quick layman's explanation of their differences.

Most of us are very familiar with .jpeg files. This is the traditional file used to download and save most pictures. Jpeg files are commonly used for printing. The BIG difference, is that .png files have had their backgrounds removed.

Digital artists generally prefer .png files, and here's the reason why. When you use saved .png files in your artwork, the background of the saved image is transparent and will disappear (even though it may appear to have a white background). It's as though someone actually trimmed or clipped the image and removed the background. Actually, that's precisely what's happened! Someone has gone the extra mile and has taken the time to digitally erase the background for you. For example when you purchase collage images from Etsy, the .png files are generally a bit more expensive than the .jpeg files because of the extra work involved.

The last thing I want to do is confuse everyone, but it's my hope that this explanation has been helpful.

This is a huge weekend for our family. I'm off to celebrate our son's birthday tomorrow and our 34th wedding anniversary is on Sunday. (And my Mother said it would never last! LOL) Wine, roses and cake are in my immediate future - It's going to be a great weekend!

Wishing you a weekend filled friends and family!

7 comments:

Janine said...

Dear Terri, thank yousharing this wonderful adress.
I will immediatly browse through this library ;0)
All the best my friend
Janine

Lynn said...

Happy Anniversary Terri, did you say 34 years? Wow, that is just wonderful, we just had our 29th and I cherish the years we have had together, as I am sure you do too :)
I am so behind on blogging this week so am going to catch up here now, and thank you for the images, I just love them :)

Luisa Migon said...

Thanks for all!!!

vintagepix said...

Happy Anniversary and thanks for the .png info - still so much for me to learn :D

AZviaTx said...

Terri, Thank you for this explaination. I've been pondering the differences. When I look around some blogs that use a lot of digital imagery, the blogger seems to think each of us is savvy and up on all the new technology. I, for one, am not. The fact that someone has taken the time to do all the trimming for you is just that extra special. This is all new art to me. I guess I'm not too old to catch up though. Tina

Shelle said...

thank you very much for your freebies...i look forward to using them!

Sugarpie said...

Thank you, these are wonderful images. You're kind to share.
Library of Congress is also one of my fav places to browse for graphics ;)
Happy Anniversary!! Hope you had a real nice time together.
xxx
Celia