August 4, 2009

Crowabout Week #47

"Whoops!"
5"x7" Collage
(Click on the chef to see all of the details!)

The look on this poor chef's face reminded me of the time my husband flam bayed an entire roast chicken beyond belief on the barbecue. In the process of cooking it on the rotisserie, one of the little "wings" got stuck when he closed the lid. The rest (as they say) is history. Of course, it was a holiday weekend. Of course, the grocery's were closed. Of course, we had a house full of hungry guests. We still laugh about the infamous chicken incident!

-------------------------
My Techniques

Ten of this week's Crowabout images were used in this collage. Each of the images was resized in a photo editing program, printed, trimmed and glued to a background created with Twinkling H2O's and acrylic paint. After arranging placement, the entire collage was color enhanced with watercolor washes and Prismacolor pencils.

To add definition, many of the images were outlined with a black Prismacolor pencil and some shadows were added by using a darker colored pencil. Other images have shadows created with a smudged charcoal pencil. (The charcoal shadow method doesn't always work on top of some media!)

I finished this collage by stamping flourishes with brown Stazon ink and added background dots and edging with a gold metallic marker.

Hope you have an uneventful day!


Credits: Ten current images and several images from past challenges are from Nancy Baumiller's Flickr Crowabout Group (I'm a member!). The little gnome is courtesy of Flickr's Artsy Fartsy Queen. The images of the chef and the googley-eyed girl are from Clotho98 (Flickr photo sharing group); the yellow butterflies are from Cassiscreations (Etsy), and the blue butterflies are from Dover Publications.

14 comments:

Francie said...

Thanks for explaining your process Terri, it's like getting a mini class for free! (o:

You do fabulous work!

indybev said...

Your personal brand of magic never ceases to amaze me, Terri. This is such fun, and SO very well done!

Alberta said...

Burnt beyond recognition, huh? This is a great story and a hillarious collage, Terri. Thank you for sharing ALL of it.

Love,
Alberta

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW that is unbelievable. A funny and artistic artwork. I'm excited!You are so talented and creative, I'll do your blog on my blogroll. You inspire me, thank you so much for sharing!
Have a nice day,
hugs Anja

Ro Bruhn said...

Another great collage, I love the twinkling H2o's they are one of my favourites. Thank you for sharing your technique.

LW said...

I love this piece and I love the story ....

Louise

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

You really amaze me! This had my older son rolling. (He is still up)
Blessings dear one.

sharon said...

Hi terri! I found your blog a while ago through Michelle at Lost Coast....you are both terrific! I am a jewelry artist trying to start creating in mixed media and ATC's, and I have learned so much from you already! Just wanted to tell you your work is terrific!

Taluula said...

Hi Terri I know I left you a comment for this, so I've no idea where it went. The story behind the collage is a hoot and your collage of course is such fun. Bravo my friend.

Lynn said...

At least you can laugh about the flambe chicken now :)
I love how you can mix up all kinds of images and make them fit, no matter what it is, it looks great on your art work, and I love the eye with the wings thing going on there:) Always a pleasure to see your work.

Michele said...

I love hearing how people did their work. Sorry about your chicken, but that story was funny. :)

Great work on the collage, I always love your creations, they are so full and vibrant, and entertaining!

Aimeslee said...

Terri, omg, loved the tute. More porridge, sir! Awesomeness.

Lynifyni said...

Wow, phenomenal!!!! Your Chef is something else! LynnF

Amy said...

wow, I'm amazed..your art is truelly fantastic