August 8, 2009

"Mother Goose" - My 100th Post!

"Mother Goose"
4"x6" Postcard

(Click on a butterfly to see the details!)

For many reasons, this post has great significance for me. You are visiting at a wonderful time, because this is my 100th post! I just can't believe how time has flown. Additionally, it's very significant that the theme for Sunday Postcard Art is "nursery rhymes". Believe it or not, "Mother Goose" has been extremely instrumental in my life and career.

Eight years ago this month I left a corporate job to start down another career path. I was very hesitant to leave my job (after all, the money was great and steady). I was plagued with doubt and fear about my artistic and creative abilities until a friend said, "Terri, you don't have to be Rembrandt to paint a cow jumping over the moon." It was a moment of revelation!!! And so . . . I dusted off my fear, picked up my paintbrushes, and have worked successfully for eight years as a muralist painting children's rooms. Whenever I face self doubt, I think of that silly cow jumping over the moon and have to smile. (If you'd like to see one of my murals, click here.)

Now it's time to choose yet another career path. As a "woman of a certain age", it's become increasingly more difficult to climb ladders and remain in one painting position for hours without needing a ton of Tylenol (at the very least!). I've been wrestling with the decision to move forward for some time. Fear and doubt have paid a return visit. But when the nursery rhyme theme appeared - almost magically - I viewed it as a sign from the Universe that it's time to reinvent my career, sell my trusty ladder and move on.

I'm not sure where I'm headed, where it will all lead or even if my work has any merit. All I know is that there are many colors and images within my soul just waiting to be released, and it's time to begin a new journey and travel down a new path.

-------------------------

My Techniques

Today I'll focus on the background only. The thought was to create a "vintage looking" background for the great Mother Goose image. I began with a piece of scrap paper, stamped it with faux writing (using Stazon ink), and enhanced some of the areas with watercolors. Swirls were then added with a swirl stencil and white acrylic paint.

After the images were glued down, dots were created with a copper metallic pen, and flourishes were double-stamped with brown Stazon ink. FYI, the top and bottom borders were created from a vintage page with a doily punch (Martha Stewart). The entire finished piece was brushed and stippled with tea-colored distress ink to add to the vintage look, and edged with a copper metallic marker.

-------------------------

A Special Note!

If you have an opportunity, check back to read my next post. Hint - There will be a giveaway to celebrate my 101st post!

Hope you have an fearless day!


Credits: Mother Goose is from a Flickr photo sharing group , and the blue butterflies are from Dover Publications.

37 comments:

Willy said...

Your Mother Goose card is great. Wonderful background. Congrats to your 100th post and good luck with all your plans.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

The only reason I removed my previous post was because I had not completed it properly. I wanted to tell you that your Mother Goose postcard is simply gorgeous! And, I had written:
Loved reading your life's choices, and congratulations on your 100th post....awesome! In whatever you choose to pursue in your career I wish you the best of luck and most of all, tons of enjoyment. Hugs, Gayle.

Lori Saul said...

Mother Goose was never more beautiful than this Terri- and congrats on your 100th post! Your mural is fabulous(know what you mean about painting and back pain!) - maybe children's books would interest you - your work is so beautiful and expressive-I always look forward to your creations!

indybev said...

Your Mother Goose is spectacular, Terri. As for your future...
with your spirit, heart and talent I just know it holds great things for you.

Betty said...

Great card,I think mother goose will always be special to us. Congrats on your 100th post and good luck with your future plans.

sharon said...

Congrat's Terri on your 100th post!!, and your realization of what you feel....I wish you all the best in what you choose to do! I'm so glad I found you recently. Your murals look fabulous, you are very talented! Have faith! Mother Goose, as beautiful as she is, will guide you!! Beautiful piece.

Rein said...

beautiful card, lovely image!

congrats on your 100th post.

Audrey said...

Love it! and congratulations!

Martina2801 said...

This is incredible, Terri! I love everything about it.
Congrats to your 100th post and good luck for you.

Janine said...

Dear Terri, congratulations to your 100s post. Quite a number.
Your artwork is so cool and so many people love it.
I suppose you needed a lot of courage to choosed that path,
It´s great you did it.
Have a lovely sunday.
Janine

katrin said...

what a great piece! the BG and the whole piece are stunning!

peppapig said...

OOOooo This is just gorgeous Terri,congrats on your 100th post your art work is fantastic!!

Michelle said...

Happy posting to you! Happy posting to you! Happy posting, dear Terri...happy posting to you! And many mooore! Congratulations on your 100th post and a beautiful one it is! Definitely brings back fond memories!

I know that anything you chose to do will be full of beauty, enthusiasm, and talent! You go, girl! I look forward to seeing what's next! xo, Michelle

Mandy C said...

how beautiful Terri!

Dezinaworld said...

Oh Terri I love your Goose she is so beautiful, proud and cute :) Fabulous work. Also took a peek at your wall murals which are also amazing !! You have more than your fair share of talent my friend ... think you should share lol
Thanks for your kind comment on my other blog and I am not too bad at the moment thanks, I hope you are ok too my friend.
Hugs June x

Dezinaworld said...

Ohhhh and ............
CONGRATS ON 100TH POST !!

Hugs xxxxxxx
june xxxxxxx

Barb said...

Wonderful Mother Goose card..and congrats on your 100th posting.

http://truutske.blogspot.com/ said...

Love your beautiful Mother Goose card. Very great artwork.
Congrats on your 100 th post.

Fuzzy Brush said...

I love Mother Goose! The way she hides and then reappears from her forest of patterns, swirls and whirls and writing! Very clever and just a beauty to view!

Eila A said...

Congratulations, Terri! And thanks for sharing all your fantastic artwork with us on your blog. - You are living an interesting and challenging time in your life. As one of the persons who have made a career change in their life, I think that sometimes such a change is absolutely necessary. I wish you good luck in your new career, and I'm lookin forward to see more of your beautiful pieces - such as your wonderful Mother Goose is!

Rhonda said...

100 posts - fabulous! This Mother Goose is so wonderful, the image and the detail are superb. You have so much talent and I'm sure you will find a way to make your passion your career. Cheers!

roc said...

happy 100th post terri! love your mother goose postcard. i'm so proud of you for listening to your inner voice. honoring yourself is a wonderful achievement! i am going to love seeing your wonderful journey unfold!

Dianne Q Adams said...

Mother Goose is beautiful and so alive! I love the energy of your art. Good luck with your journey; I'm a woman of a certain age on a similar trip:)

Barb said...

Hi Terri,
Congrats on your 100th post! Your Mother Goose piece is adorable, love everything about it.
Thanks for making me smile.

Ozstuff said...

Congratulations on your 100th post, Terri. You are an absolute legend in Blogland (and other places!). Your Mother Goose is wonderful. I know that you will succeed at whatever you set your mind to.

libbyquilter said...

what a sweet postcard~definately one of my favorites~!!~

and yes, congratulations on your number 100 post~!~ i myself just had a 100th post give-away a few weeks ago. it's so exciting to launched into blogworld with other creative and artistic people~!!~

:)
libbyQ

Cindy McMath said...

Wow Terri - so beautiful! Love the rich background. Congrats on your 100th post!

Cindy :)

Lynifyni said...

What to say? This is so brilliant...you're so talented...I've never seen a Mother Goose as beautiful as yours! I love every single bit of it, Terri! Congrats on your 100th post! And I loved your sharing how your followed your dream...I'm so glad you did! Very inspiring!

LynnF

Taluula said...

Terri whatever you choose to do I'm sure you will succeed and wish you much good luck and enjoyment in where ever life takes you.

Beautiful Mother Goose postcard Terri, love the colours and the background too.

Lynn said...

I noticed right away , something different in the color scheme and I love it, this card is absolutely perfect, of course I love all the brights too, but something about this card just speaks to me :)

Congratulations on your 100th post sweetie and congratulations on realization that it's time for change in your life. Changes are good, especially when you don't have to climb on a ladder anymore LOL.

This was a beautiful post :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks fantastic, Terri!

Donna said...

Doing the rounds a bit late...sorry! Your Mother Goose is gorgeous Terri!

Elizabeth Golden said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I am way behind on emails and blog catch ups - company and out of town off and on for three weeks will do that. I love your "goose" postcard. Simply wonderful!!

Trudi Sissons said...

This is particularly special - the backgrounds and colors are masterful!

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol uk buy tramadol canada - tramadol dosage for depression

Anonymous said...

phentermine prescription safe purchase phentermine online - phentermine 37.5 mg results

Anonymous said...

buy phentermine phentermine and xenical together - buy phentermine online 37.5mg