September 16, 2009

"Boo" Pendant

"Boo" Pendant
(Click on the pumpkin to see the details!)

Autumn is my very favorite time of the year. I adore the crisp feel in the air, the smell of smoke filtering through an evening breeze, fall leaves painted with jewel colors and Halloween! Oooooh, how I LOVE Halloween! The decorations, the colors and - most of all - the fun!

One of the members in an art group that I belong to came up with the idea of making brass tag pendants for a recent Halloween swap. Each participant received a brass tag, and the only requirements given were to use a Halloween theme and the word "Boo" had to appear somewhere on the tag.

Making this wearable art pendant was a lot of fun. Why not try making one to "treat" yourself or someone you know! The techniques that I used are posted below.


(Click on the pumpkin to enlarge!)

My Techniques

After tracing the shape of the tag onto scrap paper, the sweet images (Itkupilli Shop) were sized in a photo editing program, printed and hand trimmed before being glued into position. Each of the images was color enhanced with watercolors and Prismacolor pencils before being outlined with a bit of smudged charcoal pencil; and, the finished paper "collage" was glued to the brass tag. (Although a brass tag was used as a base, you can try using a wooden cutout or a sturdy piece of chipboard!)

The word, "Boo", was created in a word processing program, printed onto a piece of scrap, cut with deckle-edged scissors and colored with Distress ink. Distress ink was also used to age the edges of the pendant, and flourishes were stamped with black Stazon ink. I also added a hint of orange-colored glitter to the girl's dress for a touch of Halloween sparkle.

To finish the pendant, I punched a hole in the top of the brass tag with my Cropadile (worked like a charm - pardon the pun LOL) and applied a layer of Diamond Glaze. I waited 24 hours for the glaze to dry thoroughly and added a jump ring, a jewel and a charm before attaching it to a suede cord.

Hope you have a charming day!

19 comments:

Hanne said...

I LIKE!!!!!! This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing! I am just like you, fall is my favorite time of the year:)

Have a great day!
Hanne

Lori Saul said...

What a charming pendant and you captured the warmth and fun of the season in this beautiful piece Terri!

sharon said...

I looooove this sooo much Terri!! Thank you for sharing, and I just might try this!! Your posts always make me happy!

terri d. said...

Terri! this pendant is awesome! i think i might have to try this myself. i don't have a metal dogtag but you think sturdy cardboard might work? and...what did you use to glue the collage to the metal? I knew you would blow me away one more time before the end of the week!!

(((hugs)))
Terri D.

Anneke said...

what a lovely and cute pendant.
the image is wonderful

Jolie Dennison said...

Your pendant is so adorable!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This pendant is beautiful Terri! What a fantastic idea. But what kind of glue did you use?

Amy said...

WOW, what a sweet Boo Treasure this is..I love it.. I wish I could make something like this. I'd love to some day!!! Your lil' "boo" babe is cute!!

Barb said...

Ooooh Terri, what a fantastic pendant and a great idea! Luv the little image you selected - adorable !

Cathy said...

LOVE it! What a fun necklace.
It was so sweet of you to call yesterday. I really enjoyed our conversation.
Have a super fun birthday with your family and a safe trip!
hugs,
cathy

thekathrynwheel said...

Lovely! Your blog is great - inspirational :-)

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

We have a low week and an urgent care moment yesterday for a strange knee scrape that was way too deep. So, know that you gave me light with your comment dear friend.

Lynn said...

WOW, I think you make wonderful jewelry Terri :) This is sooooooo cute, and thank you so very much for the tutorial, I was wondering how you got that finished look, if it was diamond glaze or not and now I know.

Janine said...

This sis such a sweet pendant.
Thank you so much for telling us, how you made it.
That is great.
Have a good weekend
Janine

indybev said...

I love the tag, Terri, and thanks so much for the tutorial. May I ask where the tags are available? I don't remember seeing them at my local haunts (Michael's and Hobby Lobby). It looks like a project our local art group might enjoy. Thanks for sharing....and thanks for the freebie. (My grandson just turned 16. Such fun to see the boy-becoming-man phase!)

Ozstuff said...

Exquisite! I love it.

Michele said...

This is soooooooo cute! I'm totally going to try to make one, thanks for telling us how you did it. :)

Nishant said...

What a charming pendant and you captured the warmth and fun of the season in this beautiful piece Terri!
Domain registration india

Amy said...

Do you sell your charms too?