October 10, 2009

"Bye, Bye"

"Bye, Bye"
4"x6"
(Click on a star to see the details!)

The theme for this Sunday Postcard Art is "Blackbird", and my mind immediately went to the old song, "Bye, Bye Blackbird". This postcard's style is a bit more simplistic and graphic for me, but it gave me an opportunity to try new creative "wings". (Please pardon the pun! LOL!!!)

-------------------------
My Techniques

I colored a piece of watercolor paper with Neocolors and gently spread the color around using a baby wipe. After a quick "blow dry" with my heat gun, I applied the crayon/baby wipe technique again to obtain deeper hues and more color variation. Much credit and a special thanks to my dear friend Lynn from Her Creative Spirit for sharing this awesome technique.

A Bonus "Freebie"
For your artful pleasure!


After finding a great picture of a real blackbird, I used a photo editing program to scan the picture and posterized it into a stencil which I then printed onto cardstock. It was a bit tedious to use an Exacto blade to cut around those little feet, but the results were worth the extra effort. The star stencil was created by using large and small star punches and scrap cardstock.

The blackbird was stenciled with black acrylic paint, the stars with Lumiere paint (Metallic Bronze), and the word, "bye", was stamped with black Stazon ink. A copper metallic marker was used to edge the entire piece.

Hope you try your creative wings!

35 comments:

Art Parfait said...

I just saw this wonderful piece on Flickr--I love it!

Thank you for sharing your ravens too.

~Becky

icandy... said...

Great piece, Terri! Hope you have a great weekend!
Christina

indybev said...

I just put baby wipes on my grocery list. I have to try this! Great background, and great end result. Glad you stretched your wings!!!

Lori Saul said...

Wonderful blackbird postcard Terri elegant silhouettes!

Ozstuff said...

Oh bother! Every time someone includes a reference to a song, the music stays in my head all day. "Pack up all my care and woe, here I go, singing low, bye bye blackbird".
Terri, your ravens are wonderful. The whole effect is so beautiful. (And thanks for taking us with you while stretching your wings).

Kris Dickinson said...

Beautiful work!

Judy said...

The birds stand out so well against your beautiful b/g Terri, lovely card!

peggy gatto said...

Brilliant!
Bye Bye Blackbird was my dad's favorite song!!

Amy said...

WOW!!! Such a delightful background and I love all the black on it..such pretty birds with the color's to shine on!!! LOVE IT! --thanks for the sweet template too

sharon said...

I'm such a sucker for birds Terri, so you got me right there! Especially with that luscious colored background!! Very striking!

Hermine said...

Looks great!

Bettie said...

Those colors: Wonderful!

Annes Art said...

Wonderful blackbird postcard Terri !!

sija said...

Wonderful!

Martina2801 said...

Fantastic blackbird postcard, Terri! Beautifully created.
And thanks for the raven template!!!!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful design Terri! I like the stars.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Fantastic! Great creation! Blessings.

terri d. said...

your creative wings are working terri! i love how you include your technique with your post. i always learn something new.

Anni's Art said...

Terri your postcard is fantastic the background colors are perfect for the blackbirds, thanks for your sweet comment on my card.

Rein said...

Wonderful postcard!

Cathy said...

what a great piece! I love the blackbirds, and your silhouettes are great! thanks for sharing.
have a great week!

Cindy McMath said...

Terri, this is just wonderful - so graphic. Love the background colours.

Cindy :)

Lorraine said...

great blackbirds using stencils..like the colours with the stark black ..thanks for visting my blog today

AliMayes said...

Fabulous! And thanks for the freebie too.

June said...

Beautiful bye bye blackbird and thanks for working through the techniques with us.Hope all is well with you terri
hugs June xxx

Darlene said...

Such gorgeous soft colors! Thanks for sharing the technique - I'm trying it today.

I also appreciate your blackbird template. He's perfect. I had been looking for one.

Jackie said...

So simple and yet so effective!

Birgit said...

Hello Terri, I am a big fan of your art. Its amazing!
H&K Birgit

LiveArt said...

Wow, gorgeous colours!! love the birds too!! Thanks for sharing your technique.

Linda

Marina said...

Stunning colors, I love it.
Nice also to read the steps of the process.... :-)

vintagesusie said...

Love your art & the raven images..thanks. I know I can use these in my art!! Thanks again for sharing! :)

Janine said...

Ahh I love ravens and their wonderful voices.
Aren´t they great singers (hehehe)?

Lynn said...

Wow, how did I miss this one Terr? This is probably what happens when you eat too much Turkey on Thanksgiving LOL...
Wonderful background girl, I am so happy you tried the water color paper and paint it looks beautiful. I also love how you made your own art from a photograph of a black bird, just brilliant !!!!!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Love how music can immediately take us places and continue to inspire us!
Lovely card Terri!
oxo

*jean* said...

wonderful terri! so nice of you to share all your steps!! i used a stencil too and i just bought a heat tool to use on plastic...easier than the xacto knife, to be sure!!