October 12, 2009

"Wanted"

"Wanted"
5"x7" Collage
(Click on a rose to see the detail!)

This week's Crowabout images posed a creative dilemma and were a real challenge for me. I loved all of Nancy's pictures, however, there seemed to be very little color on the sheet. (And you know how I love color!) My mission was to give this collage an injection of my beloved color, so I chose to create a colorful, mixed-media background to showcase the central cowgirl image.

-------------------------

My Techniques

While working on this piece, I envisioned a vintage/grunge look. I began with a piece of gessoed chipboard (from a cereal box); and used a baby wipe to blend red, orange and yellow Neocolors. Next I dry-brushed some red acrylic paint around the inside border, and used turquoise acrylic paint splatters to finish the initial ground.

All of the collage pieces were sized in a photo editing program, printed on a HP inkjet printer, and carefully hand trimmed before being glued into position. Next, each image was color enhanced with watercolor pencils, Prismacolor pencils and then outlined with a black Pitt pen for more definition.

To get the desired grunge look, I printed my text in a funky font, stamped a few stars with black Stazon ink, and added the white marks to the background by dipping an old plastic credit card into white acrylic paint and sliding the edge through the collage. The broken circles were created by dipping a pencil (without an eraser) into turquoise paint.

Distress Ink was used to age the text and was dry brushed over the finished collage to attain a vintage look.

Hope you have a colorful day!


Credits: All of the images - with the following exceptions - are from this week's Crowabout challenge. Thanks, Nancy! The "grown-up" cowboys are from Flickr's Paper Scraps, the little guy from Flickr's Angel & Spot, and the roses were cropped from a vintage postcard supplied by Flickr's Images by Kim.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks sweetie for the good laugh this morning and the ooh and aaah as well! You worked miracles with these images...really added the western flare! Bravo! xo - Michelle

sharon said...

Super , super, super Terri!! You really fit the bill with this one, the theme is perfect with Nancy's images., and of course you have made it your own! Outstanding!! And thanks again for sgharing your techniques!!

terri d. said...

wow! you definitely accomplished your mission and gave your piece beautiful color! i love that image of the woman, she reminds me of annie oakley. well done terri, i love it!

Janny said...

Awesome piece of work!

Dezinaworld said...

And you did an amazing job Terri, although our styles are very different, we share a passion for colour and i have been going crazy with copper and pink today on my arty retreat blog. I soooo love this one my friend, your background is just the most amazing and loving every inch of it
hugs June xxx

Lori Saul said...

Great work and I do love your colorful art Terri- lovely use of the image!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Each piece is so full of story. Gifted girl I am glad you create. Blessings.

whymsicalmusings said...

WOW I love the fun in this piece! And thank you for sharing your techniques. I came to leave a comment about your comment on my blog and found this treasure! BRAVO! I love all that you have done the colors everything!

Now to the comment. I am not personally a Twilight fan but a few of the girls in the OA group are. Also my daughter Leslie loves Twilight so with her help I designed the piece offered at OA.

Have a magical day!
XXX
Becky

indybev said...

You did give the old girl color, and beautifully so. Well done, as always!

giddy up said...

Thanks for sharing your techniques! I do love your collage...

Lynn said...

I left a comment on Flickr but had to see it here too, you really did make a brilliant mixed media background full of color for this awesome piece of art, I always enjoy viewing all your detail, LOVE it!!!!!!!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Love it!!! Love the color and message! Clapping loud on this end.
Marcie

Hanne said...

Fantastic! Really great collage!

Hugs Hanne