December 14, 2009

"Celebrate the Season"


"Celebrate"
4"x6"
(Click on a snowflake to see the details!)


I've had a lot of fun this year making Holiday postcards. It all started innocently enough with a few cards that I made for a swap. An then another idea popped into my mind, and another and another! This was sent to a dear friend to make her Holidays a bit brighter.

---------------

My Techniques

Edge a piece of watercolor paper with a red NeoColor crayon border and spread the applied color around with a baby wipe. Let it dry, then add an orange burst of Neocolor in the center of the red 'frame' and smoodge (a technical term!) it around with the same baby wipe. (Hint: I'm a bit impatient, so I use a heat gun to dry the background.)

After gluing the sweet image of the puppy (CassisCrations - Etsy), the border (Tumble Fish Studio - Etsy), the Santa hat and flowers (Lisas Altered Art - Etsy), and the computer-generated text, I used a white paint pen to add some background dots, and a pink marker and white gel pen to add the snowflakes.

All of the images were further enhanced with watercolors and Prismacolor pencils before being outlined with a black Pitt pen and some smoodged charcoal pencil. A touch of red Pan Pastel was added to each side of the postcard, and the entire piece was edged with a gold metallic marker.

May your day be merry!

21 comments:

Marilyn Rock said...

Terri! I just adore your postcards! They look like they should appear in a book as illustrations! Just wonderful and thank you for sharing your technique! These really make me smile! xxoo

thekathrynwheel said...

Cute! Love it! The colours are lush :-)

sharon said...

Another cutie Terri! Thanks for sharing your process.....this is absolutely adorable!! The colors are striking!

Lindart said...

Love your postcards Terri! I always leave Christmas Cards to the last minute - these would be fun to work on all year!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

How much fun is that little one? I remember when our dog was that small! She looked just like that. You are such a good teacher of technique and the resulting art is so wonderful. Terri, great work. Blessings friend.

Amy said...

what a happy go-lucky puppy!!! I love it..what a super cute image. Love the red snowflack background and border is vibrant!

peppapig said...

This is gorgeous and sooo cute Terri,love it!!

Robin said...

Beautiful colors and adorable images on your card!

Janine said...

I know cupcakes but cupdogs are new to me (hehe).
Too cute !!!

peggy gatto said...

AWWWW! Just perfect!!!
thanks for coming by too!

whymsicalmusings said...

Terri this is so much fun! Thank you for adding your How To's! I wish I had more time to create you always inspire a creative spark in me:) alas it will have to wait.
XXXX
Becky

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was simply thrilled to read how you made this gorgeous postcard. It is wonderful and so full of holiday fun. I really love how it all came together into a great art piece. Keep those thoughts coming and coming and coming.

Taluula said...

Awwwww Terri what a cutie, absolutely adorable.

angelandspot said...

That is so pretty and cute too.

Lori Saul said...

What a precious art piece Terri- Your holiday spirit is warm and so expressive- love your postcards- I'm starting to feel the excitement now! Happy Holidays!

A Dancing Mango said...

Hi Terri,
Thank you for your visit.
Your postcards are enchanting.
funny thing about his one is that I have that very same tea cup!
It is such a suprise to see it on your card.. very cool..
Have a beautiful day.
hugs, Darlene..

Ozstuff said...

Well, if this isn't the most gorgeous Christmas card I have ever seen just knock me down and call me stoopid. I love reading your description of the work from start to finish and I LOVE the finished product. FANTASTIC.

~*~Patty said...

your cuppa puppy is wonderful in every detail, Love reading how you create Terri!
PanPastels are the best, aren't they!
oxo

Janny said...

What a awesome postcard!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Adorable with a big fat A! Oh Terri, your work is so lovely!

The Paris Salon said...

Terri this card is fabulous...thanks for sharing your process as well! Wonderful colors and such a perfect holiday pup!
xo,
Gaye