January 20, 2010

A Crowabout Valentine!

"Valentine"
6"x6" Collage
(Click on a heart to see the detail!)


I love Valentine's Day! I love the color red. I love all of the sweet, syrupy sentiment, and I adore vintage Valentines. When I saw this week's Crowabout images, I couldn't wait to get started on this week's challenge.

Many of my collages begin with a central image, so when I found this little cutie from Lisa Kettell, my heart skipped a beat. It reminded me of my childhood and the cards we bought in Woolworth's (I'm dating myself here!) to trade with our elementary school friends.

I remember trying to choose the perfect Valentine for each of my friends before addressing them with my very best penmanship. We carried them carefully to school and dropped them into a large box decorated with colored tissue paper and construction paper heart cutouts. **Sigh!** Such sweet memories!

May your day be filled with sweet memories too!


Credits: Most of the images are from Nancy Baumiller's Crowabout challenges (past and present) with the following exceptions. Main image of child on horse - Lisa Kettell, Flickr; the word 'happy' - Tumble Fish Studio, Etsy; Victorian heart in bottom border - Goddess of Chocolate, Flickr; heart in upper, left border corner - Ceremony Julia, Flickr; both Victorian 'couples' - HeyJupiter21, Flickr; Victorian tea cup - StMaryGypsy, Flickr; little bluebird - Itkupilli, Etsy; butterflies - Dover Publications.

20 comments:

Janine said...

Your collages are allway so rich and full of details colourfull and funny.

Marilyn Rock said...

This is so happy and alive! Vibrant colors, patterns and the image is precious. I, too, love Valentine's Day; it's so happy and positive! xxoo

*jean* said...

o terri!! this is just wonderful & delightful! i love looking at all the sweet little details! this might just be my very favorite of your collages!!

Diane said...

Terri, you brought back great memories for me. I remember that we had to make our own valentine box (usually a shoe box :) and yes, I would make sure that my friends had the best cards :) And the one you made brings back all the nostalgia!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Terri you are so cute!! I can just see you now looking for just the perfect Valentine to send to your friends, and I know you are still that way! This central images brings back those memories for me too. I share your love for Valentines Day! Love this wonderful creation! xoxoxox

sharon said...

This is jam packed with color and images Terri! It is just perfect for Valentines Day, and a beautiful piece of art also!
I think I remember seeing you at Woolworths...hehe!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Sweet memories indeed Terri! Really Love what you've created, just so darn sweet and rich in details!!!
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So much color, so much detail, so much to take in all at once. Truly fabulous. I swear I'm going to have to buy some pens and learn to doodle. I'm glad I stopped by on my way out the door. It was so Valentine inspired.

roc said...

i love red too! i have red shoes that i wear a lot. great valentine work terri! it's always such a treat to come by and see what you've been up to!

Ozstuff said...

I could drown in those colours. Your collage is superb and it has left me with a very wide grin. Cheered me up it did!!

Janny said...

What a gorgeous collage;o)

Diana Evans said...

Hi Terri!!!! this collage made me smile today...what a fun and intricate piece!!! I love all of the amazing details in it...your work really has a way to brighten our days...thank you for that!!!

Hugs
Diana

whymsicalmusings said...

Oh my Terri you have truly brought out the child in me! What a wonderful Vibrant piece! So many images and put together with just the right flare. I always enjoy seeing all that you do:)
XXXOOO

Terri Morse said...

Terri, if you're dating yourself, then I'm growin' old right along with you! I have the same memories of shopping for valentines at Woolworth's and I just loved looking through all of them and signing them! Such fun! Your collage takes me right back there.

Vintage Blue Studio said...

Oh I love this! And that may have been one of the Valentines Lisa picked up the other day when we went antiquing!

Gaby Bee said...

Your latest creations are gorgeous as usual :-)
Have a wonderful upcoming weekend!
Gaby xo

Amy said...

This is soooo darling!!! I love all your vintage valentine cuties! The boy is darling as ever.

Your work is fun and funky!!!

Lynn said...

My day has just been filled with sweet memories, thank you for the wishes :)
This is just dahling, I took a while to take in all the images you have so careful cut and pasted and put your special touch too, it is beautiful Terri :)

"MOI" Freubel said...

It is PERFECT Terri
in EVERY small detail. What a excellent touch and great find at Lisa.
You create always Art that is so enjoyable to see.

LiveArt said...

Wow,wow and wow Terri, this is sooo awesome!! love the colours and all the fun elements to look at!! It's absolutely wonderful!! Brilliant composition!! Standing ovations!!

Linda