January 11, 2010

"Magic Wand"

"The Magic Wand"
6" x 6" Collage
(Click on a star to see the detail!)


When my children were small, they'd often come to me with strange and sometimes very imaginative requests. My answer was always the same, "My magic wand is broken today!" Disappointment followed by acceptance would flash across their little faces.

Sometimes when life gets a bit crazy, I do wish that I had a magic wand to make things better. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a request fulfilled with a small wave and a soft swish of that magic wand?!?

This piece was a gift for a very dear friend. She's readying her house for sale and will be moving later this year. My thought was that a new wand would come in handy for her this year!
------------------------

My Techniques

A 6"x6" canvas was base painted with a coat of turquoise acrylic paint. Next a piece of a vintage page was added with gel medium along with small pieces of a crumpled dress pattern for texture. All of the collage elements were added and enhanced with watercolors and Prismacolor pencils.

Computer-generated text was added and enhanced with watercolors. Copper colored glitter was added to give the magic wand a bit of sparkle, and the dots were created with a metallic copper pen.

Hope you have a bit of magic in your day!


Credits: Fairy's body from Lisa's Altered Art - Etsy.

22 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is darling.
Fantastic colors and wonderful work.

Alberta said...

I'm so glad you shared your technique. It's about time for me to try something new. Your results are wonderful too. One of my sons used to believe that I had the magic power to create new "night-nights" (his silky security blanket that was gradually cut down to hankie-size) when he lost it. Little did he know that I actually just cut off another piece the nightgown he'd become attached to. Oh, to actually have a magic wand!

Janny said...

So lovely, children can say great things;o)

Robin said...

There are many times we would all like a wand..and this one is perfect..the colors are delicious..!

sharon said...

I love this Terri! The background is making me do the happy dance! I adore the old and the new, it's fabulous!!
BTW, do you have any more magic wands?!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

I can think of several good uses for a magic wand uhem!!! :)

What a lovely gift for your friend, such gorgeous colors and more!
oxo

Julia said...

Fantastic! Such a beautiful bright colored piece!

Hanne said...

What a beautiful collage!

Have a wonderful and creative day!
Hugs Hanne

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

She doesn't look very happy!!! Better get her that wand, and fast! Your friend, I am sure, will love this! I love that you let us know how you did this. Take care!

Marilyn Rock said...

Terri! This is amazing! I love the composition, colors - just fabulous! Thanks for sharing your technique, too. xxoo

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Wonderful, wonderful girl! These posts are glorious. Blessings.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a joyous and thoughtful gift for a friend. I was intrigued by the stars. They are so well colored and shaded. It's almost like they come to life on the page.

Lori Saul said...

I loved looking closely at this piece and could really appreciate the lovely layers and texture Terri- your technique and style- always inspiring! Love your dream of a magic wand!

Lynn said...

And your friend just loves it Terri :) I really do keep thinking about this little magic wand, I wish I had a real one to get my house organized and ready to sell. Thanks again so much sweet friend :)

Taluula said...

Awww I wish I had a magic wand to give you Terri. Gorgeous work and thanks for the techniques ..... as always.

indybev said...

I love everything about this, Terri. You are so talented, and you share so generously. I'm in the Terri Fan Club!!

"MOI" Freubel said...

What a gift to cherish for your friend Terri !! I hope it wil get a prominent place in her new home later this year.

Ozstuff said...

Yes, I am definitely a member of the Terri Fan Club too.
This little work of art is absolutely stunning. Wonderful colours, great brushmanship (or should that be brushwomanship?). I love reading how art such as yours is created.

PS - I used your wonderful toddler with trombone freebie in my Three Muses entry this week. Check it out!

Susan Sager Brown said...

ooooh lovely work, Terri. I love what you told your kids. too funny. I never wanted a magic wand, but I've often wanted to be able to do that I Dream Of Jeannie *blink*....teehee. xoSusan

Elizabeth Golden said...

This is cute. I need one of those wands myself. I am doing the get ready to move thing too. I know your friend will appreciate this. Lovely piece!

Amy said...

ooooh, I love that metallic colored pen..I like that effect. I don't have that.
Pens are so cool and so are watercolor..fantastic title you gave her

LiveArt said...

What a wonderful gift!! Love this piece, but then I say that about all your work :) Because I do LOVE it!! beautiful, creative and gorgeous colours!!

Linda