January 29, 2010

Technical Difficulties!

Please Stand By!
A Freebie
for your artful pleasure!

You may be wondering why this week's freebie is an old fashioned test pattern. You may remember this old TV graphic that was displayed whenever a TV station went off the air or was experiencing technical difficulties way back when. When it appeared, it was usually accompanied by the words, "Please stand by!" and a lot of static.

This old graphic just seems so very appropriate for the computer disaster that I experienced a few days ago. Unfortunately, my hard drive died and I'm currently working on my husband's old laptop. No graphics programs or files are available on this computer, but I do have web access and can participate in the "One World One Heart" festivities and have access to email.

Fortunately, I've backed up a lot of my artwork and files on an external hard drive, but it's going to take some time to load in my graphics programs and art files so that I can get back to work creating new art. Bummer!

---------------
"One World One Heart"
Reminder

Many of us have been riding the magic carpet this week, discovering fabulous new blogs, making new friends and entering generous giveaways. Kudos to Lisa for organizing this wonderful event. At last count, over 700 participating blogs were listed on Lisa's site, "A Whimsical Bohemian". Click here to go there and find the list of participants in the sidebar.

My OWOH Giveaway can be found here. To enter, please leave a comment on that post only no later than February 13. The lucky winners will be announced on February 15.

Hope you take some time to go for a great ride!

14 comments:

Ozstuff said...

TV came to Australia much later than in the US - 1956 in the eastern states and 1958 in the west where I live. People actually WATCHED the test pattern before regular programming came into being. Thanks for reminding us of those dim, dark days, Terri. I'm so sorry to hear that your computer has eaten your hard drive. Hope you are up and running soon. Cheers, Marie.

thekathrynwheel said...

Oh no! Thank goodness for external hard drives. At least you backed your work up :-)
Ha ha, yes I rememember the days when the test card used to appear on the TV. When I was young, many TV stations didn't even begin until 4pm so the test card was on all day!
Kate x

sharon said...

Great image Terri! The good old days!! Hope you get your computer problems worked out, and have a great weekend!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I didn't own a TV until the 80s. I'm such a late bloomer. Grew up with no TV, didn't buy one when I went off to college and work, either. MY first recollection of TV was MTV when it first came on. See what I missed?

I'm so sorry to hear about your computer. As one who has lost nearly EVERYTHING, I'm glad you have your files. It's not that I didn't back everything up (zip disks, etc), it's just that the technology I was using was so old, it wasn't compatible with my new system. In fact, most of what I had wasn't even USB port based. So you may be inconvenienced for a bit, but things will all work out in the end.

And before I forget (where ARE my manners?), thank you for the freebie. I'll be back for it soon.

Janine said...

When you read all the entrys of "One world, one heart, you will have a lot to do.
I wish you a great weekend
Janine

Marilyn Rock said...

Glad you could back up your files; I've learned to do that over the years. Thanks for the cool freebie! xxoo

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Oh that test card symbol brings back memories - static included! So funny!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

ahh your test pattern takes me back!
SO sorry about your computer crash, everyone's worst nightmare!

Great that you backed up files, I finally found out how to do that!

Take care dear one ... happy weekend to you!
oxo

LiveArt said...

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your computer problems, Hope you'll be up and running soon!!

Hugs,
Linda

Diana Evans said...

Oh my Terri!! I know what that's like!!! I do two backups of all my systems and am always scared about having any technical difficulties....

Hope you get back up and running soon!!!

Hugs
Diana

Susan Sager Brown said...

OMG this test pattern is fantastic and right up my quirky alley!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your computer issues. Losing it all is my worst nightmare, along with missing a wayward chin hair in the morning....LOL xoxoSusan

whymsicalmusings said...

Oh what a NIGHTMARE!!!! Isn't it such a silly thing to be so attached to our computers! BUT Where else would I visit with all of my wonderful friends and find such fabulous Freebies!!!!

I do hope you get things back up and running soon. I am sending a hug for those long long hours of reloading and getting things put back into working order. I figure it would make me feel better if I were in your shoes.
XXXOOOO
Becky

Lynn said...

So sorry Terri, I hope you will be up and running again soon, and I pray you didn't lose too much.
Hugs, Lynn

whymsicalmusings said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This picture is just so beautiful! I love everything about it Terri.

Glad your back in the wave of Internet users. I hate technical difficulties!!! But thank heaven's for children:)

XXXOOO
Becky