August 1, 2010

Shrinky Dinks & An FYI

Shrinky Dinks
Ready for the Oven
(Click on any picture to see the details.)
Years ago when my children were young, we used to play with Shrinky Dinks on rainy days. The kids never got tired of watching their creations bend and violently twist in the oven. Suddenly the tortured, faded plastic would finish its movements to yield a perfectly flat, brilliantly colored piece of artwork so much smaller than the original. Pure magic!

  Cooked!
While shopping in a local craft store a few weeks ago, I spied a new type of Shrinky Dink that can be used with an ink jet printer. Needless to say, I brought them home - and on a rainy day last week, I finally had a little time to play.

Before

I decided to print some of my artwork onto a sheet of Shrinky Dink plastic. The instructions are so easy. Simply choose your artwork and adjust the brightness of the image in a photo editing program. Load the Shrinky Dink plastic into your printer's paper tray, and hit the print button. That's it! (And don't worry, clear instructions are inside the package.)

After


The Shrinky Dinks made the most adorable art charms! (If you decide to make charms, be sure to punch a hole in the top before baking.) Best of all, it was an awesome way to spend a rainy afternoon.

***************

For Your Information

During the past few months you may have noticed that I used quite a few images from Tumble Fish Studio in my work and was a member of Marsha's Creative Team. 

For your info, Marsha has decided to leave Deviant Scrap and will be moving her goodies to her Etsy shop in the near future. (Click here to go there!) So don't despair . . . if you love TFS images as much as I do, they will be available in Marsha's Etsy soon. I promise to keep you posted!

Hope you discover new ways to make magic!

26 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You managed to get some really wonderful charms from shrinky dink material. I've never used the real thing, but have made shrink pieces from No 6 plastic. Of course, the recycled plastic won't go through your printer, so this is something I must check out. Thanks for these hot beauties this hot Sunday night.

susi said...

love those! every time I try they never work out well. good job!

Janet Ghio said...

Your shrinky dinks turned out great. I want to try that!

Dorthe said...

Terry,
they are wonderfull, I love how they turned out, what a great way to make charms, wow -wonder when it will be possible to buy something like that here in DK.
It`s just fantastic that you can choose all kind of things on the computer, and then copy it ----
Love your beautyes.
Hugs, Dorthe

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow! Cool shrinkies :-) I have never seen shrink plastic to go through a printer before ... must keep an eye out for that. Kate x

Rebecca Anthony said...

OMG how much fun!! I cannot wait to try this one day soon!! Imagine little bag tags or gift tags or charms as you said, these are G R E A T !!!!!!! Thanks Terri!! You inspire me once again my friend(O:

Kathy said...

Well, what dya now? Everything old is new again! I LOVED Shrinky Dinks! What an awesome idea. I'm going to have to find me some of those.

BTW - I love Marsha's stuff too. I can't wait till she has her "shelves" full of digi-art goodies.

Kathy

Lynn said...

I love how they turned out Terri and what a great idea to use them as charms. I have some printer shrink sheets somewhere and I don't think I have ever used them, thanks for the inspiration and I love to see your artwork on these charms :)

BTW... Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Pringle..*giggle

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

OH now those are all wonderful Terri, Forget-me-nots are a fav flower of mine too!
Absolutely brilliant to make shrinky dinks for the printer = wowee!
(never tire of the shrink process either)
You must be so tickled with how these turned out!
oxo

Healing Woman said...

To be honest, I've never seen Shrinky Dinks before. What a great idea! I am definitely going to try it. I love the way yours turned out. You are so creative and inspirational Terri-thanks!

Robin said...

These are just gorgeous Terri! I bet you had fun doing this when it was rainy outside!! Ink jet shrinky dink sheets...another thing to add to my shopping list :)

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Cool!!!! These are great!!!!! I can't wait to find them!!! Hope your day sparkles dear friend! Blessings.

Lori Saul said...

What fun Terri- these are so beautiful. Isn't it fun to play- I will have to try these little gems myself - Always a joy and inspiration to visit your blog!

sharon said...

Beautiful charms Terri! Thanks for sharing! You amaze me!!

Emma Grace said...

I love what you have done today!!!

roc said...

terri..shrinky dink for the inkjet printer? where did you find that?!?!? you always find the best stuff!

FlipSyde said...

Yeah Shrinky Dinks! I Love Shrinky Dinks and take a crazy amount of teasing for using them! Awesome. We are ShrinkySisters.
Amy

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Those look fabulous. I am going to have to go to the "big city" and find the sheets...haven't been getting out much so thanks for the heads up ! shrinky dinks...who knew :))

muckypup said...

Cool idea! I'm going to try this too!

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

What a FUN share! My kids loved these too! Your description of what happens to them in the oven was the best...still snickering. Bet you got good grades on creative writing papers! Your new little creations are adorable.

Lori said...

OMG, these are adorable! What a splendid idea! And seemingly so easy! Love it!

Astrid Maclean said...

Terri these are soooo cool, Love them! What a super duper idea, mind you I'm sur eit is the artwork not just the shrinki dinks that make them so cool!!

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

Now, this is COOL! I've used shrinky plastic before but haven't seen one to go through a printer - fabulous! Will keep my eyes open for this. Thanks for sharing Terri!

LiveArt said...

Wow, how fun is this ?!! love your tiny creations :)

Hugs,
Linda

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, these are lovely! i will try to look for this next time I'm in a craft store. thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

oooo, such wonderful charms they are too..I can see why you love them so!!! Super fantastic and perfect!!! Thanks for the sweet art tip