May 8, 2011

Mail Art

 Art Envies
(Click on any picture to see the details.)


A smile comes to my face whenever I open my mailbox and find a piece of mail art. It's much more fun than finding invoices and credit card bills. I'm always surprised and delighted by the sending artist's generosity.

 
Needless to say, I also love surprising friends and family with unexpected art, and always hope it brings a bit of happiness into their day.


Since I like my envies to be sturdy, I generally use a manila folder as a substrate. Sometimes I'll use acrylic paint or watercolors for the backgrounds; and, after gluing my images in  place, I like to doodle and add a bit of sewing for added interest.


If you do decide to use your sewing machine for paper, be sure to designate the needle you used to sew your envie "for paper use only". You'll want to make sure that you've installed a fresh, sharp needle when you're ready to sew fabrics. Other than that caveat, there are no rules for art mail!

May your day be filled with delightful surprises!

Credits: Thanks to Tumble Fish Studio-Etsy for the eyeglasses and the girl's face, wings and crowns; to Ceremony-Etsy for the little heart; to Flickr's Crowabout Group for the word, Beautiful; to Moonlight Journey for the roses, to Dover Publications for the butterfly, bird and unaltered cat and to Lisa's Altered Art for the girl. Remaining elements in the public domain.

28 comments:

Netty said...

Oh wow they are fabulous mail art pieces. A joy to receive. Annette x

ShabbyChicShaz said...

fabulous mail art, how wonderful to find one of these in the post :)

Janine said...

Oh this is so sweet and darling. Ilove the calling bird. Everybody would be so delighted to get a letter like this.
What a gift.
Have a great day
Janine

Diane said...

Now this would be fun to find in my mailbox--like a present under the tree!

Lynn Richards said...

Absolutely fabulous. Just plain gorgeous, Terri!!!
Thanks for the tip about the needle.
xo
lynn

sharon said...

Love this Terri, especially this color combination! The light yellow looks like a sunshiny morning, and aqua is always a fav of mine! These are darling!

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

Would love to see this in my mail box!

roc said...

ooohhh...i'm LOVIN' those envies!!!! you know i am!!

Gaby Bee said...

Your envelopes are just incredible. The detail and colors are totally amazing. Brilliant, Terri! A joy to receive!!!

Have a lovely week!
Gaby xo

Healing Woman said...

Just love these envelopes! I get so excited when I receive art mail. It really is a day perker-upper isn't it? Thanks for the tip on changing the needle after using paper on the sewing machine...

indybev said...

What gorgeous mail art, Terri! I love that sassy little bird. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy stopping by here.

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

True..much better than bills! I love how soft and happy these are! Thanks for being such a sweet online friend..xoxo.

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

Cheery mail art indeed! Love these. xox Corrine

"MOI" Freubel said...

Terri, you will constantly amaze me with your excellent and detailed work !!
I wonder if you have ever thougt about it, to sell your work ???
Or did you already and I missed it ?

Marit said...

Sweet mail, if it's 'art mail' or a sweet letter - always enlightens the day! Everyones day!!! You are one of the sweet people who know that (and I still have your cards hanging on the wall!)

Martina2801 said...

Your mail art is gorgeous, dear Terri. The colors, the images and the whole design. Just a poem!
I`m excited.

Kimmie said...

Wnderful examples! I have to admit that I'm rather lazy and usually just throw things into a bubble mailer .... Either lazy or LATE! That's when the throwing really happens :)

*jean* said...

lovely envy's, terri! that birdie looks just like my cantankerous wrens!
xo jean

~*~Patty S said...

ooo this precious mail art would put a smile on everyone's face!
I always like thinking of decorated pieces touching so many lives along their journey to be delivered!

Sweet and Lovely dear Terri!
Happy May!
oxo

Amy said...

these are both so totally fun Terri..always love your backgrounds and color! They are perfect for spring fever!

Lori Saul said...

These are incredible! You could start a whole line with these Terri- stationery and all. Beautiful inspirations!

Renee Stien said...

I am lucky enough to have received one of these lovelies and what a wonderful treat. You are awesome, Terri!
xxxx

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

These are all so delicious, Terri! I think it oughta be a law that bills came in envelopes like these. Who do I need to contact about this? Adore that little white doggie with the glasses {all of 'em actually...}

Thanks for sharing such sweet inspiration! Xo, Sue

Debrina said...

Hi Terri - always lovely having you come by to say hi. I see you haven't slowed up at all, lol! Fab mail art here. Oneday, I might have time to do some more myself.

Marilyn Rock said...

Absolutely incredibly beautiful!

sandee said...

Getting ANYTHING from you is wonderful. You are just FaBuLoUs!

Kellys Art Journaling/ Sharing The Journey said...

These are gorgeous! I love them.Have a great day

online pharmacy said...

wonderful thanks a lot, they look really bizarre if you ask me like a twisted version of wonderland from the movie of alice in wonderland, thanks