January 23, 2012

Heart Strings!

Heart Strings

It all started innocently with a pattern for a tiny crocheted heart and the rediscovery of my crochet hook. (My beloved grandmother taught me to crochet when I was nine!) Before I knew it, I had a stack of handmade hearts begging for more creativity.


My first little valentine was made of red yarn and embellished with blue fibers, a bit of stamped silk and glass beads. Happy with that experiment, I crocheted my second heart . . . . this time, an orange one trimmed in fuzzy, green yarn.


In the process, I remembered what it was like to "play" with materials. I began to enjoy the gift of unrestrained and unrestricted creativity. Last year I'd focused on journals, this year will be a year of play and exploration into the world of fabrics and fiber art.


Frankly, I'm sailing into uncharted creative waters, and it's a little unsettling. Journaling and playing with images is so familiar. However, I'm remaining steadfast in my resolution to explore, and - most of all - to have fun in 2012. Somewhere in my past artistic life, I'd gotten caught up in self-imposed expectations and deadlines and totally forgot that making art should be fun .


And so, I played with my stack of colorful little hearts to My "'s content". When I was finished, I strung the little valentines on recycled sari ribbon, and hung my "heart strings" garland on the mirror in my kitchen as a reminder to enjoy my new creative journey.
May your day be filled with fun!

29 comments:

Renee Stien said...

Terri, I've always said you're all heart - now i mean it literally as well. these are so sweet and your garland is lovely!

roc said...

love love love it!...and you!

Astrid Maclean said...

Looking great and such a cool idea!!

I keep repinning all your lovely hearty things on Pinterest, I agree with Renee lol, all heart, that's you!!

Sandy said...

Oh Terri looks so lovely.
Wonderful hearts. xoxo

Effie said...

Fabulous.....

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm in awe of all that fabric and fiber you are playing with. It's like you have been reborn with hearts and a new found soul! So glad you popped in to share this new play with us.

Netty said...

Loving your latest addiction and great to see you having fun. Beautiful hearts Terri, love them. x

Lorraine@creativedaily said...

I'm so proud of you playing with fabric and fibers! Your heart garland turned out so great - all the colours, textures etc. SO YOU!!!

Healing Woman said...

Now those are something else! What a creative thing to do with the simple crochet hook.. My grandmother taught me too and I still have a scarf that I made under her guidance. I will never part with it. Love these hearts!

Deborah said...

Love your garland, Terri!

*jean* said...

just darling! love them!!

A Dancing Mango said...

Oh, Terri,
It is always so nice to come here and see what you are up to.
Love those hearts and also the mirror they are hanging on.
Home sweet home is what it looks like.
heartful blessings, Darlene ♥

Marlynne said...

Good for You! Doing something different from the norm! And how neat they look hanging across your mirror.from Marlynne at mcreatesdaily.com would love for you to visit me.

libbyquilter said...

cuteness~!
love the fun garland and it looks wonderful as part of your beautiful home.

:-)
libbyQ

Ro Bruhn said...

Love it and such wonderful colour.

Gill said...

Hi Terri,
I am gradually following the links on Kate's calendar blog & have just landed on your blog. I am just blown away by your calendar & wanted to say thank you for the fabulous images there - I can look at them for ages. I shall add your blog to my favourites & look forward to seeing the new things you create.

. said...

Aw - they are beautiful Terri! And your post is an inspiration to us all to let go and play!

Cameron said...

They make such an amazing and playful display...such happy colors, such bold love coming from them :)

Marilyn Rock said...

These make me smile! Awesome Terri!

Anonymous said...

I love the hearts!! My grandma also taught me when I was 5! It's totally freestyle with me, I just do it for fun! Lately I have made some little mini purses for iPods and a DSi... Cat toys! I could fun them up with some fibers, never thought of that!! VERY cute!! Jennifer K

T's Daily Treasures said...

Your crocheted hearts are so fun! I've got to learn to be more creative when I crochet or make things. I seem to struggle with that. Thanks for inspiring. Best wishes, Tammy

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

Oh how cute is that, these are soooooooo fun! What a way to get in the spirit of the upcoming Valentine's Day. xox Corrine

Gaby Bee said...

What a wonderful idea. Your hearts look fantastic, Terri!

Have a lovely week!
Gaby xo

Janine said...

This hearts look great and would make perfect valentines-day- presents

Titbelsoeur toute seule said...

Hello Terri, this is a great opportunity to thank you for all the pics and freebies you generously post for us, since I have used one in one of my creations and posted it on my blog with a link to your blog & freebies section : http://titbelsoeur.blogspot.com/

A big thank you and greetings from France !

Coleen said...

What a cute project Terri. I've been watching you for some time off and on. I love your approach to art. I"m following now and I hope you will follow back on my blog. It helps me to stay connected.
Happy 2012, filled with blessings,

Coleen, an American in Ukraine
www.vintageterrace2.blogspot.com

sandee said...

Terri, these are gorgeous!

Taluula said...

Your hearts are fantastic, my friend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your post has only been up for about an hour, and you already have 28 comments. I can tell you like to play, and I for one, like to see you play. Especially with fabric and fiber, two materials I adore! Your hearts are adorable. It's good that you are playiing around this year.