May 3, 2012

Practicing My Alphabet

Playing with Letters!

I've never been happy with my own handwriting. Matter of fact . . . I've always looked at everyone's journal pages and must sadly admit that I was always pea-green with envy when I saw someone's distinctive lettering style. 


I've been trying to do a little art each day without a making a major commitment to a complicated, long-term project. Limited art time each afternoon is just enough time for me to practice my alphabet. I gather my "marble composition notebook", a few Sharpies and brush pens, and my trusty watercolor crayons - just a few basic supplies.


I'm finding that it's fun to explore and play without having a purpose (other than to play), and that it's OK to make "mistakes" along the way. Actually, I'm learning that "mistakes" can be serendipitous!

May your day be filled with the joy of discovery!
 

PS If you'd like to play with letters too, click here to go to Joanne Sharp's "Whimspirations" blog where you'll find a link to her "Lettering Love" class. And . . . please tell Joanne that I sent you over!

13 comments:

Anita Van Hal said...

Beautiful page and colors! Wow! You're really creative with this! Love all the different patterns, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Giggles said...

Looks awesome. Very inspirational! I love her lettering too!! Yours is wonderful!!

Hugs Giggles

Sara Jansen said...

looks like tons of fun...I love to just play....

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm very impressed with your lettering. Of course, I always thought you had beautiful handwriting, anyway. This is even more impressive!!

BTW, I am using that freebie girl from your blog I love so much again tomorrow for my Inspiration Avenue challenge piece.

many said...

C'est superbe

Netty said...

wonderful work Terri. Have left a link for you in case you are interested on Facebook. xx

Lorraine said...

Appears as if you have really got a lot from this workshop - your lettering is so whimsical Terri! Hugs.

landofnodstudios said...

Terri I love your page your work is always eye catching and smile inducing and your penmanship is superb. Lack of good writing skills has always been one of the many things that has kept me from doing a journal I too hate my writing. I like the idea of a play journal no rules just have fun might give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration.

Renee Stien said...

Terri, you lettering is wonderful! Glad you are getting a bit of art time in <3

Lee said...

Love this- I could totally do this on the small amounts of down time I have... even at work... shhhhh. Hope to purchase soon! xoxo

Ophelia said...

Ok...gotta admit I have been seriously considering this class...but have been sitting on the fence about it. Thank you again for sharing this post. I'm heading over!!!!

Martina2801 said...

I absolutely LOVE this, Terri! It is so gorgeous and so colorful! Stunning work!

Have a nice sunday.
Hugs
MARTINA oxo

Siobhan Brignull said...

Im green with envy that is fab lettering . . mwah