October 25, 2012

Buried in a Book!

Polymer Clay Bookmarks

Every once in a while it's nice to have an opportunity to play with a new medium. When a challenge was posted in my art group earlier this year to make a bookmark using polymer clay, I decided to give it a whirl.

 Ready for the Oven!

I found my stash of polymer clay, dusted my off sculpting skills and dug my old baking sheets out of the cupboard to try something that was w-a-y out of my traditional "comfort zone".

Carrot

Mermaid's Tale

After the bookmarks were baked, I rubbed and buffed them with a little acrylic paint and allowed them to dry.  Finally, I added a little glitter (because a little glitter "makes magic"), and brushed them with a coat of clear nail polish for protection. 


Finished!

This project definitely tested my skills, but considering the fact that scuplting is NOT my "strong suit", I was very pleased with the results. After all, that's what challenges are for!!!

May your work be artful and fearless!
 

18 comments:

creatie's and stuff by jenneke said...

that's very cute en nice work
greetz jenneke
http://creaties-jenneke.blogspot.nl

Lorelei said...

These are great! I've never used that product before but would like to make snowpeople out of it. Keep crafting, my night-owl friend. (with your 1am posts)

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, these are cute!

Janine said...

Awe, I want this carrots!!!!
Honestly, I am eating a carrot right know, while opening and reading your post!!!!
Have a great weekend
Janine

sharon said...

I loved these when I first saw them, you are so talented Terri! Glad you are enjoying yourself!

Sandra Kaye said...

Your book marks are super cute!!! Hugs

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

So cute. Good job, I find polymer clay so frustrating. Nice addition to your journals. xox

ShabbyChicShaz said...

They are fabulous, really cute and useful, what more could you ask for :-)

Healing Woman said...

Very creative. It's good to break out of the mold we put ourselves into once in awhile isn't it Terri? Who knows where you will go from here!

Dianne said...

these bookmarks are adorable!! I would never have thought of a carrot or mermaid's tail, but you've captured them beautifully...and of course a good book on a cold day is always a comfort, and a lovely bookmark always brings me a smile!

Marilyn Rock said...

I love these; very creative Terri!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hurray! I can finally leave you a comment. For nearly a week, blogger has not played nice with me and I have been unable to tell you how much I love these bookmarks. You are SO inspiring, I may have to get out my polymer clay again and give some of these a whirl. Thanks for the inspiration.

susi said...

these are so cute! i may have to give them a try...

susi said...

these are so cute! i may have to give them a try...

. said...

Great idea Terri and I love that little carrot! do you use it for a Mr. Gray bookmark? LOLOLOL. - oh my mind sees things it shouldn't !

Laura said...

These are great! I'm always on a lookout for things I can do with my youngest that I also will like.

silver gran said...

great idea! now where is that clay.... :)

Anonymous said...

Birdman Inc. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry outlet shop[/url] We become addicted to a substance or activity for the same reason that we initially try it: Because we like the way it makes us feel. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose expedition[/url] Xcwcdaiyr
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora uk[/url] Hfouuguqf [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose outlet[/url] cvzutrnyu