January 8, 2014

The Documented Life Project - Welcome 2014!

 
It's been a-g-e-s since I've written a blog post. Admittedly, I'm a bit rusty in the "Blogging Department".  I've been on a healthcare sabbatical of sorts for the past two years: First, taking care of my husband, and last year my Mom was taken seriously ill. My days have been filled with hospitals, rehab centers, doctors consults, social workers and nurses.
 
As John Lennon would have said: "life happened".  I've always believed that family must come first; but, my art and the effusive, saturated colors that I love so dearly, were put on a shelf along with my blog, Flickr, Instagram and Facebook activities. And, although I had a great time teaching in last year's "21 Journaling Secrets" class, my classroom participation was extremely limited due to my family's needs and obligations. My art life and world seemed to have stopped cold. When I did have an opportunity to play, my colors and the intuitive artistic sense that I'd once relied on were "gone". The art that had flowed so easily in the past, now seemed forced and unnatural . . . I feared that my "colors" had disappeared never to be seen again.


A good friend told me that my colors were still "inside" and that they were "hibernating". What a lovely thought . . . how I wanted to believe her!!! Enter 2014 and The Documented Life Project. Hmmmm . . . . I thought! Why not give this project a try? All that I needed to do was purchase a 2014 planner to use as a journal, join the Facebook site for the project, and look for one prompt a week. What a great way to get back into my little studio, I thought. Why not play? Why not experiment? Why not try to rediscover and reclaim who I am? Why not do art for the sake of pleasing myself without any expectations?

I took a deep breath, opened my planner, went to the website and read the first prompt: "Take a picture of your front door. What does it mean or symbolize to you?" I chose a picture of my front door, and started to play. Out came the glue, the Prismacolors and the Derwent Inktense pencils.


Out came the watercolors, acrylic paints, markers and Sharpies. Out came the images that I so loved. And before I knew it, I'd finished the prompt, and the first week's spread was finished! Only 51 more prompts to go!

Although my colors hadn't "flowed" quite as easily as they had before . . . . they were still there . . . bright and beautiful. My friend was right . . . . they'd been waiting for the right moment and the right project so they could be released. 

If you think you'd like to participate in "The Documented Life Project", please click here or on the badge located on my right sidebar. It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or a seasoned art journaler. The group is wonderful, fun and very supportive. I hope to see you there!  

May you have a very colorful and creative 2014! Let your colors flow!

 ♥ 

28 comments:

Effie said...

Nice to see you're getting back in the groove Terri
Effie

roc said...

happy blogging again! welcome back girlfriend!

Netty said...

Good to see you and your wonderful collages and artwork back Terri. Happy New Year, hugs Annette x

Terri Kahrs said...

Big colorful hugs, Effie and Roc! It's nice to be back! ♥

Renee Stien said...

great comeback, Terri!

Janet Ghio said...

I love your front door! and your friends were right, the colors were just hibernating! I hadn't blogged in four months or amde any art and boy did I feel rusty starting again this year. and P.S. Blogging is not passe-you can say so much more on a blog than on FB!

Janet Ghio said...

I love your front door! and your friends were right, the colors were just hibernating! I hadn't blogged in four months or amde any art and boy did I feel rusty starting again this year. and P.S. Blogging is not passe-you can say so much more on a blog than on FB!

Sharon said...

So glad to see that life is settling down for you...love DL project,too. My blog has been severely neglected, but I intend to get back soon. For now I am resting and finding my way...

Sandy said...

Wonderful artwork Terri - I hope 2014 will e kind to you and your family. You do use the most beautiful colors.
Sandy

Lorelei said...

Sooooo glad to see you back at Pringle Hill......

Martha Richardson said...

Thanks for the kick in the behind…need to get back in the saddle also ;)

Terri Kahrs said...

Renee, Janet, Sharon, Sandy,Lorelei and Martha . . . . HUGE "Group hug!" for your lovely comments and all of the "love"!!! It's greatly appreciated!!! ♥

Janine said...

Dear Terri, so good to have you back.
And of course you didn´t loose your colours and your creativity.
This will never happen, it is a part of you.
And so good, you remembered it, cause art heals and makes happy, you know that for sure.
Hugs
Janine

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Lovely post

Cathe P. said...

Welcome back Terri, You were my favorite on 21 Secrets. I'm sorry you have had a hard year. I can so sympathize. I've also had some severe health issues but I'm ready to start again. I am going on what everybody says, "Art Heals'.Wishing you a 2014 filled with everything you could want filled with your amazing colors.
Much Love.
Cathe Ekas

sara j said...

I am so thankful to know you are alright. I LOVED your 21 Secrets class and use the neo-crayons and gesso all the time...and love my pearl and leather bracelet you helped me find. So sorry to hear about you Mom...I've been there and totally understand. It becomes so consuming. But mostly I am glad your colors are coming back. Love seeing your work!!

cathy parmelee said...

hey sista, i'm also just back in the blogging world after a 2 year absence. so glad to see you back, and always thankful for the chance to see your colors! xoxo

Ophelia said...

Welcome back!!! I love, love, love your Documented Life start.

Eileen said...

Happy to see you blogging again!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

So wonderful to see you back again Terri and your friend was indeed right, your beautiful colours and artistic instincts just needed the right inspiration. Your first journal page is wonderful. Off to check out the project, sounds intriguing! Deb

massofhair said...

Just found your Blog & that you are taking part in The Documented Life Project. I am also taking part but haven't started yet as only found out about it a week ago.

Thanks for tbe inspiration so far:-)

thekathrynwheel said...

Welcome back Terri. You have been missed! Let's hope 'life' stays on hold for a little while. Love the start of your new project x

Roben-Marie said...

So happy to have you joining us on this journey! Your door is stunning!! :)

Uhu work said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...

oh, Terri- I enjoyed reading your post so much. I had recognized your work immediately when you started posting on the DLP fb page, and then decided to look up your blog. I too have been struggling with blogging since April 2013- the last time you blogged before restarting this January. I have always enjoyed your use of color- I too love saturated color, and I too have been inspired by the DLP. (although I haven't gotten as far as blogging anything, lol) Life has happened for me as well- health problems- my family's as well as myself. Hmmmm.... I feel a kindship already. Looking forward to watching your tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to make one and for sharing your glorious, colorful, exhuberant art!

Uhu work said...

Make Money Online Without any work, You can Invest as low as 1$ Dollar to 100$ Dollars and Get Daily profit of 2.50% for 90 Days.
Minimum Withdraw 1 and Instant Payout with PayPal, EgoPay and Perfect Money
Join Now
http://www.hotfxearnings.com/

rashid omer said...

In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
HotFxEarnings.Com

rashid omer said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures.
lolsgag.blogspot.com